SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerzone4

Please help!--Rose new leaf buds shriveling up and dying

gardenerzone4
14 years ago

Please help! I planted 6 bareroot own-root roses from Jackson and Perkins on Friday, and now all of the new leaf buds, some 2 inches long, have shriveled and dried up. What could be causing this and what can I do to counter it?

The roses arrived on Wednesday. I kept them in shipping box with moist newspapers draped all over the roots and tops, in a dark cool place in basement. On Friday, it was windy when I planted, but tried my best to prevent the roots from drying out. Planting hole has about 50% well-composted horse manure + alfalfa meal, and another 50% of native clay soil. Watered very well, mulched with brown bag paper, compost, and leftover autumn leaves. Then watered again. Today, I found that the leaf buds are all dying, though the canes are still green.

Since there are no leaves yet and it's all bare canes, I can't imagine that an insect got to them this quickly, or a disease. And since it's all 6 roses that are doing this, I'm wondering if it's environmental. Since I planted, Friday and Saturday nights both hit 32 degrees, but the daytime temps were in the 60s.

Other roses I planted 1 week earlier--container roses that had already leafed out and--are doing just fine and show no cold damage.

Is it planting shock? Have you ever experienced this? Called J&P but the horticulturalists aren't there until Monday morning.

Would appreciate any suggestions or explanations. Thanks.

Comments (4)