SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

'Lady Robertsâ

jerijen
11 years ago

(Tea Rose, Sport of âÂÂAnna OlivierâÂÂ, F. Cant, 1902)

THIS IS A GREAT ROSE!

In the early 20th-Century, writers were all over 'Anna Olivier,' and her more colorful sport, 'Lady Roberts.' Both were disease-free, prolific, beautiful AND REALLY popular. You gotta wonder how they came to be SO forgotten as to be dropped completely from commerce.

âÂÂAnna Olivierâ blooms buff-gold -- otherwise identical to her sport. In âÂÂLady RobertsâÂÂ, a âÂÂthumb-printâ of rusty-red at the base of the petals pumps up the color.

Still hard to find, but available at the Sacramento City Cemetery's Open Garden Sale. :-)

Jeri
(Coastal Ventura Co., SoCal)

Comments (30)

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

I am really Jonesing for this rose and Lady Hillingdon. They never are available when I'm ready to buy.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm sorry they're not avail to you -- we need to fix that.

Jeri

• Lauren Hayes
    11 years ago

I could find a spot for both of these in my garden. Lovely!

• cemeteryrose
    11 years ago

I'm sending cuttings to Dr. Manners for the plant sale that will be held in conjunction with the HRF symposium at Florida Southern College (Lakeland, FL) in November. I can add Lady Roberts and anything else that people are hankering to have. I already have been working on a list with him and plan to send cuttings soon.

Lady Roberts truly is a fabulous rose. We have several for sale at Open Garden. I already have one in my pot ghetto and really want to find a good place for it in my garden. It gets pretty big... not huge, but spreads out tea-like. Maybe I'll move Just Joey and take out a virus'd Gruss an Aachen, which could make enough space... I have an apricot-colored bed, that also includes Comtesse du Cayla, Perle d'Or and Phyllis Bide. Lady Roberts would fit well there....

Anita

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Yes please :)

• sherryocala
    11 years ago

Anita, could you send along some space with those cuttings? I'd like some of that, please.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

I bought her from...can't remember who...last Fall. She is in a prime spot and I have a feeling she will become a "must have". I can't wait until she blooms. Thanks for the picture!

• mountainrose
    11 years ago

Oh, yes, Lady Roberts needs to come east!

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

I feel very smug because I got Lady Roberts as a happy accident a couple of years ago. I thought I was buying the Phillips and Rix Pink China Climber. When it bloomed with that beautiful flower Anita told me what it was. It is as good as it is beautiful.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Oh, Anita, both of those would be wonderful if you could. Did I read that the climbing version of LH blooms more? It would be great to get some of these roses in Florida. I have tons of room for large roses.

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Here is a bud of my Anna Olivier showing the brick splotch at the base.

Jackie

• mountainrose
    11 years ago

*sigh* The cemetery doesn't take mail-orders, do they?

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

Mountainrose, not, they do not. But if you ever decide to come out west to go to this annual event, there is a pretty good possibility that someone out here would take you around to see all the local rosey sites. I've done it before, and I'm not the only one who has.

Rosefolly

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

All is not lost. Both nurseries are currently out of stock, but I see that both Angel Gardens and Rose Petal Nursery list 'Lady Roberts' as a rose that they carry. So you eastern rose growers who cannot make it to the cemetery sale will have an opportunity in the future to get this rose.

Rosefolly

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    11 years ago

I don't know about current availability, but I purchased Lady Roberts from Burlington a little over a month ago.

• mountainrose
    11 years ago

Added to my Rose Petals wish list - thanks!

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Rose petals' Lady Roberts is a baby she's growing on for a mother plant, but it will be awhile. Not sure about Angel Gardens.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

floridarose, you inquired whether Cl. Lady Hillingdon bloomed more than the bush and I can say for me it was a much better plant. The bush (and I tried it two times) at least in my climate was rather weak and short on leaves, but the climber was full-leaved and flowered a lot once it gained some size. It may be worth trying for you.

Ingrid

• jerijen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jackie -- if the Heritage is losing its SBG, I suspect they would indeed like another. Do you have a mailing address for Jill Perry?

If not, I can give it to you -- OR you could ask for her on the Gold Coast list.

BTW, how "giant" is the Giant??

Jeri
    (Here's another look at 'Lady Roberts')

• odinthor
    11 years ago

'Anna Olivier' and 'Lady Roberts' are in the top rank of my favorite roses old or new. I actually prefer 'Anna Olivier' because it adds pink tintings to LR's buff and orange. I've had both for, well, quite a long time. Frequently, they are indistinguishable; but when the weather is just so and they color up, the pink will come out in AO's coloration. The buds are long and beautiful on both; and just half an hour ago I was noting that AO had some enormous blossoms. At one time, Sangerhausen listed having a 'Climbing Anna Olivier', which instantly became my top desideratum; but either they lost it or misidentified it (or perhaps misidentified it and then lost whatever it was they misidentified). At any rate, anyone who can grow Tea roses will never regret growing LR or AO; they're distinctive, and there's just nothing bad one can say about them!

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Jeri - sorry for the confusion - re Anna Olivier, I was not talking about the SJHRG, but rather the Sacramento Historic Cemetery rose garden.

My original "Giant", which is still growing in my garden, under a bunch of trees, is spreading - it is about 8-9 feet tall and 10-12 feet wide, but it is tangled up with a bunch of other large shrubs, etc. I will try to post a picture of it, but I can only get near it by climbing underneath it, so it will be sort of strange.

Jackie

• cemeteryrose
    11 years ago

The cemetery's plant of Schmidt's Buff Giant is not in full shade but it does not get a full day of sun, either, so yes, it might be good to try another plant in a better spot. It is indeed dwindling away. We could propagate from our plant or take one of yours, if you please, Jackie.

For us, Lady Roberts is not only more vigorous (maybe it's the sunnier location) but also has more petals. Jill Perry thought it was possible that it had sported in both petal count and color.

Anita

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Anita - I will try and root a cutting from the original old plant for the cemetery. I do think the SBG planted there now is just not in the right place. Here is a picture I took 5 minutes ago of the first one I rooted from the old one - it is doing great on a South wall of my house. It would get bigger except that I have to keep it out of the driveway and the doorway. I will post pics of the old original one below.

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Anita & Jeri - here is my promised picture (from today) of just 1/2 of the top of my old original bush of SBG. As you can see, it is at least 12 feet across at this point.

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Last picture of my original SBG - I just took this standing completely upright underneath it. Oh, I counted the petals on one large bloom, including the petaloids there were 36.

Jackie

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

Jackie, those are stunning photos. How lovely! Do you have any trouble containing the one you are keeping out of the driveway?

Rosefolly

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness, what beautiful roses, both AO and LR! It's a good thing that your club sale doesn't ship because I'd not be able to resist. I love the shaded yellows, ambers and apricots, especially if they have scent. Do you think that it would grow in eastern Tennessee? The only tea that I have is Mrs. Dudley Cross and she does very well for me even though she's not in the perfect place. I really like her, too.

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Rosefolly - re the driveway - it is literally just inches in front of the rose. So, the rose is sort of espaliered on the house. If it puts out a shoot that I can't get to go sideways, I just cut it off. The deer munch on the bottom half of it, which also helps. This has been going on for over 10 years, and it does not seem to mind.

Jackie

• jerijen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kes, you'll have your opportunity, as it is slowly making its way to East Coast nurseries (more accessible to you).

Mmwa-ha-ha -- said the Merciless Enabler. :-)

Jeri