SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zdufran

Appropriate greenhouse for tropicals in Oklahoma

zdufran
15 years ago

I am thinking about getting a greenhouse since I now have too many plants to fit in the house over winter. Most of my plants are tropicals and I live in central Oklahoma (zone 7). I have been looking at different options online to get an idea of prices and I'm not quite sure what I should do.

There are quite a few small models (about 6'x6'x6') of "pop-up" greenhouses that are pretty cheap ($120-180). The actual material of the walls/ceiling is polyethylene. (See the link below for one of these greenhouses.) I assume that this material does not insulate nearly as well as the thicker, more expensive polycarbonate (usually more than $700). I plan on using a space heater in my greenhouse to keep the temperature above 55 for my tropical plants. Will it just be running 24 hours to try to keep this thing warm on our cold Oklahoma winter nights?

Since I am going to be keeping tropicals in a greenhouse that has maybe a 2 full months with overnight lows in the 30s, do I really need to fork over the money for a polycarbonate? (http://www.allgreenhouses.com/Juliana-Greenhouses-B300ST-JU1087.html)

I would be interested in hearing from people who have either type of greenhouse - the cheapos or the nicer ones.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pop-up greenhouse I have considered

Comments (8)