SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iforgotitsonevermind

Should I plant an Atlas Cedar (cedrus atlantica)

I'm looking for a specimen evergreen. C. atlantica and C. libani are in the running. As usual there is conflicting information on growth rate on the web.

In fact I find conflicting information on the same site. Take this, for example which says "slow" and this, which says 'glauca' is rapid growing. Is glauca really rapid growing?

Another thing that is conflicting is that same site says that atlas cedar is the least cold hardy cedar. I was under the impression that deodar cedar was in fact the least cold hardy cedar. I see those die back from time to time. So if that is the case maybe I shouldn't use Atlas cedar?

One thing that is not conflicting is that this is reportedly difficult to transplant with recommendations to plant container grown plants. I can't seem to find any container grown plants, only b&b. These are very expensive too. What specifically makes these difficult to transplant and should I take a chance with it? It's not like I can take it back if it doesn't survive transplanting so I hesitate to get one for that reason.

There's quite a few growing around my area but it seems like they have fallen out of favor as they aren't easy to get ahold of.

Comments (6)