SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
watermark_gw

Shasta Daisies Wilting - Causes? Solutions?

waterMark
14 years ago

Having problems with my Shasta Daisies (Chrysanthemum superbum) wilting in the mid-day sun (they bounce back at dusk and do the same thing next morning again). It's not even been very hot here in central PA recently, days in the mid-70's with low humidity, nights in the mid-50's. We've had a rainy spring, so lack of rain/moisture would seem to me to not be an issue. Both established plants that have come back well this spring, and also newly-planted ones, are having the same problems. I have numerous cultivars in my gardens; the ones wilting are "Alaska", "Whirral Pride", "Crazy Daisy", "Snowcap", and "Marconi". The two that are not wilting at all are "Becky" and "Switzerland". No bugs have been seen on any of the leaves. Is there something missing from the soil? Something I can add? I prepare my soil to great extremes when planting (LOL!), and most plants thrive in it; are certain Shasta Daisy cultivars different? With this happening in spring-like weather, I greatly fear what will happen to these plants when the heat and humidity of our Pennsylvania summer hits soon. I'm looking for any good advice please, I want to save these plants if possible! Thank you.

Comments (7)