SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

My Mom's Rose.....a seedling's story....(with photos)

celeste/NH
16 years ago

Hi to all!

I have been away for a little while due to some major surgery and although I haven't posted in awhile I have been lurking when I am able. Recently my 84-year old mother fell and broke her hip and her doctor had warned us that because she is so frail (85 pounds) and because of her age and advanced Alzheimer's Disease that she might not make it through the surgery. So my Dad, my brothers and I kept vigil the day of the surgery and the many days afterwards, sitting by her bedside and praying that God let us keep her just a little bit longer. We all need angels on earth and Mom is mine. I guess since God knew I had my own surgery looming, and lots of heartache this winter, I needed her here. We had to make the heartbreaking decision to put her into a nursing home because the doctor said he wouldn't release her from the hospital unless she went straight to a nursing home for rehab. The day that she was transferred to the nursing home by ambulance I could not get out of work (since I had missed so many days already and would be out for 2 weeks for my surgery)... I was feeling so much anguish and my heart was heavy. Once home, I grabbed something quick to eat and flew out the door to go see Mom at the nursing home. Something in the corner of my eye caught my attention....something pink.

When there is snow we always exit our home via the cellar door and I have been growing roses from seeds under flourescent lights in my basement all winter. This is the first time I have experimented with propagating from seed and I had over

l00 rose seedlings down there on shelves. Several of them actually had buds on them even though they were only 3 inches tall but none had bloomed yet. One in particular I had been watching closely for a number of weeks....it seemed to take its sweet time and I felt it would never open up and bloom. For days on end it teased me, and every day that I would check on it there would just be that green flower bud, seemingly frozen in time....looking the same day after day.

So on that very sad and difficult day as I was rushing out the door with a heavy heart, to go see that sweet woman who had brought me life and love for 48 years.....that little rose seedling had decided to open its heart up on that day. It was not only fully open but it was HUGE atop that wispy 3 inch twig, and it was PINK, Mom's favorite color.

I cried, I shouted out with glee, I smiled through my tears at the little rose blossom that waited until one of the saddest of my days to uplift my soul....and reassure me there is beauty even on the darkest of days. It was my very first rose to bloom from seed and I was elated!!!

I have named it "Mamie's Rose".....all her grandchildren

call her Mamie....and out of 300-plus rosebushes that I grow and love dearly, no rose will ever be loved more.

Celeste

Here is how it looked for several weeks before it opened....

{{gwi:260315}}

Here it is, fully opened in all its glory....it measured four inches across!

{{gwi:260316}}

Mom and I at the nursing home.....

{{gwi:260317}}

Comments (26)