SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claude_maine

Troy-bilt Shaft problems

claude_maine
17 years ago

I have a 7hp Troy-bilt tiller that is having a problem.

The tines turn freely with a clicking noise.

I opened the cover on the back end of the shaft (between the tranny and the tines).

It appears that the shaft gear is not engaging the worm gear of the tines.

How is the shaft removed? Is it a major job? Does the shaft have a gear attached to it or is it one piece?

Thanks a lot

Claude

Comments (7)

• fisher40037
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Which model tiller do you have? Is it older, or a fairly
    new one?
    Fish

• claude_maine
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It is a Horse 1
    Manufactured 1968-1978

• Related Discussions

Troy Bilt Horse tine shaft

Q

Comments (4)
    Just in case anyone else has a similar question I'll update what I learned today from Tim at "Custompartsinc.com". The original bronze gear was thicker then the current replacement gear. The replacement gear uses two .055" thick spacers to make up for the difference. Can't say enough good things about Custom parts as a Troy Bilt part supplier. RT
    ...See More

Troy bilt tiller problem

Q

Comments (2)
    Looking at the link that baymee provided, I would suspect a broken belt. Can't tell for sure, but you might have to remove the tines and pull the side plate off to see the belt. Your owner's manual should address this.
    ...See More

TroyBilt Super Tomahawk Chipper/Shredder Belt Problem

Q

Comments (2)
    A glance in the OEP book shows the belt as 5/8 X 29 3/16" OEM # 1902325. The OEP part # is 75-380. Stens shows their part# belt as 265-107 & says it is 5/8 X 29 1/4" long and replaces 97133. So if were me, I would try the OEM belt if you could locate it and then a Stens belt. The Stens belt in my experience is a good belt. I think they are Thermoid belts which actually make many OEM belts. Some of the OEP fall short, though some do fine. Beyond having the proper belt, pulley alignment, bearing or pulley wear will affect belt life as well as an impeller that may be damaged. Another thing to do when installing a new belt is to condition the belt by allowing it to run up without actually putting a load on the equipment for 15 minutes. Hope this gives you some help.
    ...See More

Troy Bilt Super Bronco steering problem

Q

Comments (1)
    Sometimes the lower bushing on the steering shaft goes away on these. Best to replace both. Just need to get into it and look for wear.
    ...See More
  • rustyj14
    17 years ago

BEFORE!! Before you go opening up the tranny, or doing any repairs, better try to get a schematic of the gearbox, showing how it goes together, which parts must come out to get the gears out, a whole mess of info you will need to fix it. I had that info, and decided it wasn't bad enough to try to take it apart, so i left it a bit noisy, although it still worked! I managed to get front and rear shaft seals, but wwhen i saw the other things, i gave it up!
    Rustyj

• claude_maine
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi thanks for the advise
    I agree with you I am not going to mess with the tanny.

I did open the tranny cover and the gearing looks good
    I did notice that the rear bearing on the tiller shaft is shot.
    Does that bearing come out through the back end?
    I hope so!!!

Where can I get one?

Claude

• giventake
    17 years ago

Depending on how far the tiller has been ran in that nosie condition.. all of the parts in the tranny are dependant on the others being in good condition. Don't let it intimadate ya get the overhaul manual from www.mtd.com i perfer the hard copy, you can get a pdf version from that site, use "horse 1" as the model number/serial number. then buy the parts from, www.zacm.com I think the bearings are generic so could buy from any supplyer. There's a shaft that runs from front of tranny to rear/with bearings on both ends,one fails the other would be suspect just because...were i to start into FIXING a tranny i would check every part in it, and replace any worn/broke part and then use the tiller for another 20 years, It's one of the few things i have worked on that when you get through, you can use with the comfidence of NOT worrying about how far it will go, just try to break it before it break's you...enjoy it

• olddufus
    17 years ago

Claude,

You can skip to the quick by scrolling down to where I discuss "Rear Bearing Removal" if you want.

You've received very good advice with the posts that I see to your original question. You can do a search on The Tool Shed Forum for the string: "olddufus" to see some of my advice and heart aches with my horse. But here is some direct advice in case you come back to check:

I discovered from the school of hard knocks that the shaft gear that you referred to is adjusted for proper fore and aft position by adding/removing (usually adding as the bearings wear) shims at the rear of the unit where the tines "tie" in. In my own sad experience, the bronze worm gear was so worn down that it would hardly mesh with the steel worm gear above it.

My 1st wear-down occured from Dad's original ownership and my own, we just ran that "puppy" until the bronze gear failed and the tines rotated freely with a clicking sound as you described. Preventive maintenance that we never knew to do would have been to add shims at the back end of the unit (three allen-socket bolts are loosened to remove the back cover off the fore and aft shaft).

The second wear-down to my own bronze gear replacement occured I think as an accident when I failed to tighten the three socket bolts on the back cover. This would have allowed the steel worm gear to travel too far back (aft) to the point where it begins to disengage with the bronze worm gear and proceeds to "grind" it into a poor little pile of sharp brass fileings. Another factor might be that my bronze gear should have come with a package that included new spacers (shims) that MTD says is needed on rebuilds since they have redesigned the unit to take new bearings that have a different depth of race because the auto industry doesn't make the old kind anymore. You are probably OK, because your bearing of concern is on the drive shaft, not the tine shaft according to your post.

Rear-bearing removal:

If our Troy-bilts are similar, and I suspect they are (serial numbers from 1001 to 639,999) then you should be able to get to the rear bearing by removing the cover cap at the rear of the unit held on by three socket screws/bolts that receive an allen wrench to turn them.

This rear cap has a protruding boss on it with milled surface that bears first against a paper/fiber gasket. If you tear the gasket, don't fret, you can probably buy a sheet of gasket paper from a local auto parts shop and trace the old one onto it for a pattern.

After that, you should discover that there are perhaps one or several shims (very thin and slender-looking washers that take up space to remove play between the drive shaft and the bearing). They should nearly fall out or maybe take a magnet pen to coax them out, they should all be very loose.

Now you should only be faced with how to remove the actual bearing and its race that was hiding behind all those parts: Take this advice at your own risk, but in my case, I discovered that if the belts and reverse disk are first removed from the front of the unit as well as the engine and cast steel engine mount, the double pulley at the front of the trans housing is exposed. You can remove the snap ring from the shaft near its end just outboard of this pulley using a special tool for the purpose. (The tool looks like a small pliers, but works in reverse with two little pins that mate with the little holes in the snap ring to expand and extract it from the shaft). Now the pulley should be able to be slid off the shaft (I don't recall it being a very tight press fit).

Okay, now the front end of the very long drive shaft is exposed. You may want to "cap" it for hammering protection at this point. Just find and old plastic cap like what they put on cheap metal pipe table legs to prevent scratching the floor. Or, just hold a hard wooden block on the end of the shaft while you hammer. Make sure all gears are in neutral. You want to avoid "mushrooming" the front end of the drive shaft! Now hammer descretely on the shaft to drive it towards the rear of the unit and monitor your progress as the goal will be the advancing of the rear bearing TOWARD THE REAR OF THE UNIT until it exits the rear. You see, the rear bearing has no "seat". It is held in place by the rear-end cover and shims that you removed.

In my experience, the drive shaft simply worked its way to the rear and any gears that it contacts simply ROTATE to allow its rear-ward travel.

Just in case you need to replace or temporarily remove the bronze worm gear on the tiller shaft that runs perpendicular to the drive shaft, it removes to the left of the tiller (looking toward the front from the rear of the unit).

The tine cones should first have been removed by unscrewing the hex nut on either cone. Then the cones simply slide off outboard and two tine "studs" are exposed which can be grabbed with a vise wrench near their middle and unscrewed from their attachment to the tine drive axle. Now remove, I think (4) socket screws and the cover and gasket. You should have a huge, gapeing hole in the left side of the trans housing in order to remove the gear, bearings, and tine axle shaft to the left.

One final piece of advice in case you actually have the guts to go this far in the rebuild: When you reassemble everything, you may have to purchase additional shims to remove bearing play. I suggest you test the tightness by screwing the rear cover described above snug tight and move the shaft to the fore and aft with your fingers on the FRONT end of the shaft BEFORE you reassemble the front double pulley. You want a SMALL amount of play, perhaps 1/32 inch, it is a matter of feel and gut feeling. Too tight and you could burn out your new bearing. Too loose and there goes that expensive bronze worm gear into metal fileings. In my case, I think I had other contributing problems, but I really think you will be OK if you sense that the shaft play is no more than 1/32" according to "feel". Look at a ruler while you make the adjustment and convince yourself the the play is to the order of 1/32". Again, take this advice at your risk, I'm just a "back yard mechanic".

Also, here is a site where you might go to look for parts if you plan to go mail-order from MTD:

https://www.buymtdonline.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategoriesDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10101&catalogId=15601

Hope all this helps!

• weixel
    15 years ago

I have a Troy Bilt tiller but I do not know whether it is a older pony or an older horse. it has a 7hp kolher engine. Serial # 9212591. The tiller's serial #230508. Need to get this machine operational as it has not been in use for several years. Need an ID so as to get parts as needed. Thanks