SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

Clay into sandy soil

Laurel Zito
14 years ago

I am working on a project to add some clay soil to my sandy soil. I do use a lot of organics, I want to say that right off the bat. I have a friend with clay soil and we are trading soils. I give him sandy, he give me clay. The problem is I am having a hard time incorporating the clay into the organic matter. I have been adding the clay to the organics and then using them for planting and mulches, but the clay has started to become little tiny balls. It is very difficult and slow to break up the little balls, so I got a screen and used the screen but then my back was killing me before I could even finish. How can I make the clay not ball up like that? I was the mind set to buy some horticultural large grained sand, to add to my tiny grained sand that get hard packed. But, I found that osh does not carry any more little bags of horticultural sand and supersoil brand no longer uses horticultural and in the bagged mixes. I want to find some horticultural sand. This is just an experiment to see if I can create the most superior soil possible.

Comments (56)