SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaotik_gw

Bad fuel pump???

chaotik
16 years ago

HI...new to the site , but glad to be here!! I had this problem start late last year all of a sudden....finished cutting grass once fine...next time...issues.

The mower is a Craftsmen with a B&S 24HP Intek OHV...bought new in 04-05. Problem I am having is that it is bogging down (like if you were trying to cut too high of grass on too low a deck setting) even when the grass is normal height. Has fresh oil/ filter, plug, air and fuel filter. I have searched here and have the same issue with the fuel filter being basically completely empty except a couple drops in the bottom....just enough for the very small pool of fuel to touch the filter element. And as it runs , you can see in the clear line from the tank to the filter, thatthere must be pressure in the filter because the fuel is not free flowing into the filter...can see how it is stopped in the line and little by little dribbles into the filter. I have taken the line from the tank to the filter off and fuel just starts pouring out, so there is no obstruction there..and after I reattach it, it fills the filter atleast half full....up to the line on the filter housing itself.

Then I then restart it, runs like a champ....couple passes into the grass still fine....then starts to bog down again. Another look at the filter and its almost empty..so I an thinking that the fuel pump isnt drawing enough fuel up to the engine anymore...causing the pressure in the filter and not alowing the filter to fill. Is this a good guess?? Any help would be great!! It takes me way too long to mow the 1 1/3 acre I have at such a reduced speed to keep it from bogging way down and dying...but always starts right back up.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
More Discussions