SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
j0nd03

So an Arkansas hillibilly goes for a walk in the woods...

j0nd03
12 years ago

And pulls a 6' hickory tree out of the ground?

Well, kind of... Back in the fall, I dug around a 6' mockernut hickory tree with the intention of transplanting it will a ball of soil on the roots. It was too heavy. LOL so I left it for the time being.

I was walking around today and came across this tree. I saw it had a small buck rub on it and thought "What the heck, let's give a tug.." Out she came as a bare root 6 footer. I scratched the bark and it is still green. The buck rub is pretty minor cosmetic damage. As you can tell from the pics, the soil was pretty soggy and too wet to work well but I didn't really have a choice...

I pruned any rough breaks in the roots I found but the main question I have is actually a curled root. When I transplanted it I didn't know whether to prune it off or leave it. Since it was growing that way naturally, I left it alone.

What a nice surprise for me! It was an understory tree that would never amount to much where it was, so IF it lives, it will be much better off and hopefully give me some nice fall color.

Imageshack uploading broke during the middle of the process but here are some pics of the roots and the "J" hook

{{gwi:327680}}
By jp_42_82 at 2012-01-21

{{gwi:327681}}

{{gwi:327682}}

Comments (33)