SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elleni_gw

How can I get rid of 100's of rose suckers?

elleni
16 years ago

I had a giant, more than 5'x8', rose bush (not sure what type, see first picture below) that was "removed" two summers ago. Last summer, the good part of the bush (flowers) was indeed gone, but hundreds of suckers came up all around the area where the old bush had been. The woman we hired to redo our garden in 2006, who strongly suggested removing the original bush in the first place, came back last Summer and sprayed Roundup on as many suckers as she could without hitting the wanted plants between which the suckers were coming up. That did not help. This year I want to be rid of them. You can (sort of) see in the second picture, taken today, that the suckers are all in the bed, but particularly along the fence.

I understand I should not cut them. I can pull them out, but in addition to the fair amount of effort required, once the rest of the garden comes up, it will be hard to reach them.

As the rest of the garden has not come up yet, it seems now is the time to act! What is my best plan of action to remove/kill the old bush?

Thanks much for any suggestions! Elleni

{{gwi:259445}}

Not so great picture of an area of suckers:

{{gwi:259446}}

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor