SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

long - foundation planting, half sun help please

Hi guys,

Once again I am helping someone with a bed. This time, it's a foundation planting, and it is for someone who doesn't really garden, and does not want a garden per se, but some nice plantings in front. I keep insisting I'm not a designer, but my friends keep telling me I know more than they do so I should do a fine job! And in this particular bed, I'm twice as hesitant because I really do not know shrubs all that well. Please don't send me to the shrub forum, lol! I feel more comfortable here for now.

Anyway, the house is a dark blue with white trim, two storey. Center entry door, only two steps leading up to it with a small covered porch (about six feet wide and 3 to 4 feet deep), with a house width of 14.5 feet to the left as you look at it, and 11.5 feet to the right. We will probably be coming out about 6 feet, but that is not set in stone. It faces east (roughly) and (at least as of now) gets about half day sun, with the left side getting a bit more than the right. The land at the far right of the house slopes down. My friend does not want me to post a picture on-line so I hope I am being descriptive enough.

Oh, and her windows are quite low - only about 3.5 to 4 feet above ground level, so we do not want to block the windows. On each side, there is about 4 feet between the center entry door/porch and the windows, which are centered.

She pretty much has nothing there now, except two hostas, so it is a clean slate.

She has selected spirea Gold Mound as one choice, and has three for each side, which we were thinking of planting in a triangular formation (two near the house and one centered between the two but further forward).

So, we are looking for a low-growing, shade-tolerant, possibly flowering but not necessarily so, hopefully evergreen shrub to put in the center of that triangle.

For this, we are considering a dwarf rhodie (Firestorm, Boule de Neige, Capistrano, Fantastica), or ilex glabra (Shamrock or Compacta). We are considering boxwood, but I'm not sure if this will grow tall enough to be seen above the spireas. It's also expensive. And we considered deutzia Nikko, but again, this seems kind of low-growing.

A nursery worker also suggested a dwarf lilac and thought that this would do well in the half-sun, at least on the left side of the house.

The second dilemma is in the space next to the entry porch, between the door and the windows. A consultant at the nursery told us we should go with short shrubs here (boxwood) because that would draw the eye toward the door, especially if we put tall plantings at the ends of the house. My friend would prefer taller shrubs in this spot to frame the door. Opinions on this please? And suggestions for shrubs about 6 to 8 feet tall, evergreen, shade-tolerant, and possibly with brighter foliage?

For this spot we considered: chamaecyparis Nana Lutea, Crippsii, or Gold Mop; thuja occ. Wansdyke Silver or Stoneham Gold; taxus x media Margarita (Geers); Ilex crenata Steeds.

As of this point, deer are not a problem, although she has seen them in the area. But she doesn't have that much going on in her yard to determine if deer will be a problem or not, lol!

And please feel free to add suggestions for other plantings in this bed. We were thinking hakone grass, astilbe, variegated hosta, and I would love to find a small, low-growing evergreen plant to kind of edge the bed with, for winter interest, like a low, spreading juniper. Not sure if I can find anything like that for this location though. And everything must be low-maintenance. I'm debating whether to go with any maroon/burgundy foliage, which I think would look great with the bright greens we may use, but which might also get lost in the shade against the dark house.

Oh, and lastly, we are considering a clematis to grow up the side of the porch post.

If you are still reading, lol, thank you for any help!

:)

Dee

Comments (18)