SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rocknroses

Visit to Otto & Sons Nursery

Hi all,
Those of you anywhere from Santa Barbara to San Diego really ought to make it out to this amaaazing rose nursery in Fillmore (halfway between 1-5/Valencia/Magic Mountain and Ventura/the coast). This is prime citrus country, a gorgeous and still mostly unspoiled green valley between picturesque mountains, with orange groves all along the road.
Otto & Sons grow something like 45,000 roses. They're a David Austin test garden as well (going to post on this in the Antique Roses forum). From 4/24 through 4/26 they're having Rose Days, with all kinds of wonderful educational seminars and juicy discounts on their enormous selection.
I need a large, eye-catching rose to replace what turns out to be a ridiculous Dr. Huey just under my living room window. It used to be a white rose ... then it seemed to die ... then it came back with leaping flowerless canes and puny-red blossoms.Thanks to the Name That Rose forum, I now know its shameless identity. I'll be digging it out tomorrow, or in a few days at least, and I'd like to put something somewhat orangey in that space. At Otto and Sons, I was impressed by:
About Face
Precious Moment
Pat Austin
and, although not orange, Francis Meilland.
I've read the comments about FM on this forum and it seems that blooming consistently is not its forte, About Face seems to go nonstop. The folks on the Antique Roses forum seem to universally hate Pat Austin, so although I thought it was a simply beautiful rose, that may not be the best choice.
How about Precious Moment? How tall does it get? I need something at least 5' high. It could be a climber too, up to maybe 8'.
Thanks,
Sylvia

Comments (11)