SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Anyone know anything about bumble bees?

mxk3 z5b_MI
12 years ago

Yesterday before yet another marathon rain I managed to fit in a little yard time, and I was mulching with bagged leaves I had kept over winter.

This one bag I heard a lot of BZZZZ'ing but didn't see anything flying around so I managed to get about 1/2 bag of material loaded into my wheelbarrow. I dumped the load in a front bed and out flies this HUGE bumble bee - had to be the queen, she was so big I could still see her as she flew off down the street. Anyway, off she went and a short while later I find her back at the original bag of leaves on the side of the house. She couldn't have cared less about me, she kept flying around the bag, in and out of it, like she was looking for something.

Um, am I a homewrecker? Did I destroy the beginnings of her nest? I didn't see any eggs or any wax pieces, but there is still 1/2 bag of leaves left, so maybe the eggs/nest are deeper down in there - ? .

Should I just leave her and the bag alone? I don't mind leaving the nest per se (bees are our friends, and bumbles aren't a bother as fas as I'm concerned) but the bag of leaves is in the middle of a path and it really does need to be cleaned up. Would it be okay if I just gently pushed it out of my way (which would be a good 10-15 feet, since the path is next to a bed I need to work on) or will that disturb her too much? I feel bad if I wrecked her place but I really need to clean up the mess out there.

What should I do? Am I way off thinking there's even a nest of eggs in there?

Comments (7)