SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njdpo

IH Cub Cadet knowers / owners - pls chime in

njdpo
15 years ago

Hi Guys,

I was visiting a good friend who I call "Tractor Charlie"... Charlie has a tractor bone yard and collects older Sear tractors (which I had no idea were so well built).

When we all die and go to heaven - I will be in a place just like tractor charlies residential back yard... Please stop in and say hello - I will be the one with a beer in my hand.

Anywho...

I was telling Charlie that I was thinking of a Case 44x machine and he countered with; "I just sold 3 of them to a guy who only does Case stuff - they are very expensive to work on... If you buy one - you best buy it running cause I just replaced an onan piston and valve for over $400 bucks.... " Which was echoed by someone else in my earlier postings.

He then countered with - If your looking for something like that - then why dont you have a look at the old Cub in the bottom of the yard (covered with the black tarp).

Wondering down to the bottom yard I see that it is a older IH Cub Cadet 86 - with an 8 hp Kohler with no compression. Its all there, with a deck. (for $200 +-).

As Garden tractors go - I dont like the look of Cub Cadets (its probably the color scheme) - but it *clearly* is a well built unit and ultimately my budget drives my next deal - not pretty color schemes.

So now the bad part - the Kohler has no compression. Tractor Charlie pulled a battery out of his truck and hooked it up to the Generator/Starter and proceeded to turn over the engine for me. No clanking, no knocking, no compression - he commented that he never saw it run and knowing these motors he suspects a stuck valve due to the unleaded gas change-over years ago. Ive heard this story before about Kohler leaded gas engines getting mad about burning unleaded fuel. (so it kinda made sense).

On other thing - as charlie mentioned the unit is a gear drive with a 3 spd +reverse. It has a plate between your feet that has a high/low range on it - but does not have a lever. Charlie mentioned - he thinks this model did not have a high/low range - and that plate may be from another unit. Did the 86 have a high low ?

i like the idea of a high low range as I do make my way out to the back lot to get wood - making my way out there in high range sound nice.

If this machine doenst have a high/low - can it be put in?

Is 3rd gear reasonably fast where I dont need to be concerned?

I know some of you guys are cub fans - so how about it? What is a Cub 86 ?

I'm not a'feared to turn wrenches on it - but if im gonna work on a Cub... I want to work on a Cub that's worth working on... I need some feedback from you guys who have toyed with these things before. Perhaps commenting on :

- parts costs (average price, high priced like the case)

- Parts availability (i suspect this wont be a problem)

- Compression trouble shooting tips.

- Cub 86 information which a would help me determine if im better off finding something else.

- High / low range.

Charlie recommends that I spend some time tearing the head off it b4 I walk away with the unit. If Im looking at a cooked piston / valve / otherwise I can then make a more educated decision.

Not really being a Cub fan - I could kinda see myself warming up to this thing - maybe if it had some fresh paint on it (color correct mind you).

Your input please ...

As always - Thank you

Comments (4)

• gator_rider2
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You need to go to yahoo groups and join a cub cadet group there a lot charlie tractor guys there they give information you need case cub tiger gilson gibson ford sears and allgardenthractor. If your charlie tractor has case 448 buy it and repower these tractors pull woodlot closer to house lol the hydraulic drive on these old tractors are best of all garden tractors. welcome to old iron fever.

• rcbe
    15 years ago

might try chkg around in here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Older Cub website

• donc_1966
    15 years ago

The dual range transfer case can be added on. It was an option. You'll also need a shortened drive shaft. 3rd gear moves the tractor along pretty quickly. The high/low transfer case is for going slow, like when using a tiller.

As far as parts go, allot of items are still available from your local Cub Cadet dealer. You can find almost any used part cheap on ebay.

These older Cubs have bullet proof trans axles in them. Just take a look at competitive garden tractor pulling, the old Cubs are the most popular by far.

Don

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:318111}}

• yellowfever
    15 years ago

The Old IH Cubs were some of the strongest best bullet tractors of there time. Like mentioned the transaxle is bullet proof.

The Kohlers also have a compression release valve that may be stuck open. These engines turn over very easy because of this feature. Even if you need to rebuild that motor if all else looks good its worth 200.

The IHRegistry is a great forum. Good Luck

Sponsored