SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
s4ntos3

Want a Greenhouse, But Best Place is Worst Place

s4ntos3
16 years ago

So I've been toying with the idea of building a greenhouse in my backyard, but location is a big problem. The best place to build the greenhouse, due to landscaping and the size of the yard, is a large pit located on the north side of my home. Let me explain:

The pit is an alcove that provides access to the garage from the backyard. It drops about 2 feet from the rest of the yard. The north and west side are open to the yard, but the west side is only 2-3 feet from the backyard fence which stands 6 feet high. The south and est side sides are bounded by the home itself which stands 10-15+ feet high. The house is a south facing home, so this pit is pretty much in the shade for most of the year. I would say that it only receives full sun maybe 2-3 months during the summer.

I would like to use the greenhouse for a small vegatable garden. As I see it, I have 3 major problems:

1) Light...North side of a building. The greenhouse is gaurunteed to be in the shade for most of the year.

2) Drainage...2 feet deep pit. I can't recall this area ever getting filled with water, but our monsoons can be fairly heavy at times I don't usually run outside to stare at the pit when its raining.

3) Heat....During the winter this area will likely take a while to heat-up.

My plan is to use a greenhouse kit (most likely aluminum frame) and then do the following to address the problems I mentioned above:

1) Light...Artificial lighting. I plan on using grow lights for any part year where the greenhouse is not receiving full sunlight for most of the day.

2) Drainage...install a sump in the area in case it does flood. In addition, the plants will be grown in containers 3 feet or so off the ground.

3) Install an electric heater to help warm the greenhouse in the winter.

Unfortunately, I don't have room inside my home or the garage to house an indoor garden and this area of the yard is begging to be utilized.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bryan

Comments (8)