SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leira_gw

Raised beds on a slope

leira
12 years ago

Hi all,

I agreed to help a friend build some raised beds this weekend. Some factors:
She knows her soil has lead in it, so she'd like them to be deep-ish.
She's not trying to put in a permanent structure, because she might move to a different home, or might change her mind about where beds should be.
She's trying to keep costs down.
The available area is sloped in two directions.

At the moment, we're probably aiming toward 2x10 or 2x12s, probably pine, since it's so readily available. Before I started reading here, I would have thought that was a bad idea, but I understand from folks here that even untreated pine will easily last 5 years in a raised bed. Right?

How deep should we aim, if we want to avoid leaded soil?

I planned to have her build the beds like I built my child's sandbox and my cold frame -- with an internal 2x2" post in each corner, and attaching the boards to that.

The other question is how to handle the slope. My suggestion was to cut the boards at an appropriate angle, much like I angled the boards of my cold frame, so that the tops of the boxes would be level, while sitting on top of the ground, and not buried. This should be pretty straightforward. Then I started to read another thread in which jonhughes suggested leveling beds with concrete posts and mesh, and I started to wonder. I'm not entirely convinced about that approach in this case, because I can tell that one corner of the beds will easily be 4" lower than some of the others, and that feels like just too big of a gap for the mesh. Nonetheless, I'd like to hear what you all say on the topic.

I'm not concerned about doing the necessary measurements and cutting the boards with a circular saw so that I can get the angle I want...but am I off-base somehow?

Jonhughes, will you weigh in? Anyone else?

[For the record, I tried to convince her to take the jonhughes cinderblock approach, but while she declared the results "beautiful," she decided that method wasn't for her!]

Comments (5)