SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
york_rose

Nahema?

york_rose
14 years ago

I'm considering purchasing Nahema to use as a lax climber/bush along a 3' cast iron fence. Based upon what I know of it I'm not especially worried about its hardiness, but while I've been told that Nahema has lax canes (when they're young?), I wonder if it will be happy arching gently along such a low fence.

Those of you who have grown it, do you think it would stay low (or could be successfully trained to do so), or would it use the lax, low arching canes of the first year as a base from which to throw vigorous, upright laterals in subsequent years, always trying to become a taller shrub?

(Six foot high arching laterals will spoil the visual appeal of the fence. I have City of York in this location right now, and I definitely need to replace that. It's a pretty rose and very disease resistant, but it's just far, far, far too vigorous for the location. Dr. Van Fleet (unless it's New Dawn) is adjacent to this spot and it looks just fine. That's a vigorous climber as well, but its canes are lax enough that I can let it sprawl and it looks acceptable, especially when it's blooming! :) )

Comments (17)