SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
washoe_mark

Finished my 10 X 12 HFGH

washoe_mark
16 years ago

Today I finished my 10 X 12 Harbor Freight Greenhouse. All I need to do now is furnish it with a bench other items etc.

It went quite well. I did it in just over 3 weeks all by myself except for help positioning the framed foundation. That I did need 1 person to help lift.

I couldn't have done this project easily if not for the help of Sherri (Mudhouse) or Laserfan, or oraylawson. There pictures & tips were fantatsic.

My bigest problem was with the Sliding Doors & the vents. I had to file the ends of the side frames of the doors so they could slide on the track. It's still not perfect but it will do for now.

I put all the vents on one side opposite of windward but the one at the center doesn't fit tight because of the joint so I just sealed it off permanenty.

The roof panels are not long enough so I followed laserfans method of the Alluminum tape and sealed the edges over the gutter.

I followed Sherri's method for the internal conduit bracing & also the neoprene washers as backing between the panels & bracing. I agree with her that it looks better to not have the panels bow all the way to the bracing when screwing in the panels. I put 2 screws in the panels in all top, bottom, & each brace.

Outside I braced the structure using the conduit at each corner post & also a few at the sides. I drove 3' rebar halfway into the ground, then put the conduit over that & drove that 6" to 8" in the ground & then connected to the corners with L shaped metal bars. On the sides I just bolted the conduit to the gutter frame.

I ended up following oraylawsons idea about using an adhesive to attach the bottom door rail frame to the base frame. That worked out well. I did bracing at the gables & above the door frame also.

By the way it was easy to do the corner posts even in 20 mi. winds all by myself. I used the conduit method over the rebar as a temporary brace & attached the corner posts to that with wire & left it that way until I got all the studs & framing done.

The roof went up easy enough by myself. I did it one piece at a time on a ladder. I did not follow the suggestion to do on the ground first. I don't have 4 people to help lift it into position.

My kit was complete with no missing parts which I was worried about. It had plenty of extra bolts & panel clips so no problem there.

The big test will come this winter when the Nevada storm fronts bring in 50 mi. winds through Washoe Valley. So far this structure is solid with 25 mi. winds. We shall see.

I am mainly going to use this GH for storing my container plants in winter & starting new plants in early spring. We always get freezes up until June. I joined the Arbor foundation & they are going to mail me my free trees so I'll start them in the GH & see how that goes.

It's defineately hot in there. Actually I'm not worried if it leaks a little. It seems that I could use the humidty & moisture since it's so hot & dry.

Once again thanks to all who contributed there time doing the pictures on this site. I wouldn't have the patience to do that plus I don't have a digital camera.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County