SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billsbayou

Inspect My Greenhouse Plans Please

BillsBayou
13 years ago

I'm going to build a 12x12 greenhouse. I'm going to use pressure treated wood which I'll paint white before construction. I'm looking to buy 16" fan and two 16" motorized vents set which I found online at ACF Greenhouses. I'm in New Orleans, so there is no chance of snow accumulation on the roof. However, we do get just enough cold snaps to kill our potted tropical trees. I'd also like to use this to start seedlings in January. Heating the greenhouse will be done with the same portable propane heater that kept my 10x12 HFGH warm (above 50-degrees) during this past winter's cold snap.

Here are my greenhouse plans (hot-linked at the bottom of this message if you don't want to cut and paste):

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0903/billsbayou/GreenhousePlans/?action=view&current=Greenhouse01Front.gif

I did my best to draw these to scale using Illustrator. There are 4 images for the front, back, side, and detail.

Here are my questions:

Diagonal Braces: Are my diagonal braces large enough? What lumber and length would you recommend? I don't know how to brace the front. I'm guessing a turnbuckle will eventually pull itself out of the wood.

Panels: I'm looking to use clear corrugated roofing panels (Suntuf at Home Depot). Should I place them between the studs or fully on the exterior?

Fan/Vent: I found the motor/vent combo at ACF Greenhouses. Any better recommendations?

Door: Is it okay that I'm going to use a 36" glass/aluminum storm door?

Windows: I have no windows in the design. Should I? How about if I put in 2 - 2'x2' windows in the roof?

Electrical: I'm going to wire this to a storage shed which is about 5 feet from the greenhouse site. I need to know what I'll need to do to the shed's circuitry to run an exterior grade line to the new greenhouse.

Interior Condensation: My plans are to have the panels inset between the studs. The roof panels will meet the side wall top at the outer edge of the lumber. This allows for easy run-off of water. However, it occurs to me that this will also encourage interior condensation to run to, and collect at, the same top rail. Will this be a problem? Then again, if I'm thinking about inset panels, they'll run onto the wall base. I'm going to have to rethink that.

Misc: Anything else you can say about my plans?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (4)