SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasfreckles_gw

Is a greenhouse an option on my deck?

texasfreckles
12 years ago

Hi guys! This is my first post in the greenhouse forum and I'm hoping I can get some advice.

{{gwi:302263}}

This deck is off the south side of my house. My house faces due east and the deck is near the front, so it's right on the southeast corner of the house. The deck (the wood portion) measures 8' x 8'6" and it is about 10" off the ground at the highest point. The fence stands about 5' 5" above the deck level. The doors on the left go into the dining room, and the area I was standing in to take the photo is covered by a large crepe myrtle and leads down to my square foot garden beds along the south side of the house.

I'm in blazing hot Fort Worth, Texas and I know I'd have no use for a greenhouse in the summer (it's 108 outside, I can't imagine how hot it would get in the summer), but I would like to have a greenhouse to overwinter plants and start seeds for the spring. I also wonder if I could grow vegetables inside over the winter.

My husband is a homebuilder, but he's never built a greenhouse and I don't think he's jazzed about the idea of putting a greenhouse on the deck because you could see the top of it over the fence from the street. So, it would have to be something that looks nice from the street where it peeks over the fence.

Do you think a greenhouse is an option in this location? The crepe myrtle does create some afternoon shade and the fence would obviously limit the amount of sunlight coming in on the east and south sides. I would still need access from the dining room doors to that side of the house, so it would either need to be really large with a door on the west side or small enough to still allow easy passage from the doors to the side yard.

If anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it! If I can convince the hubby about this location, he's pretty handy with a hammer and saw, so building it is not a problem.

My other option is the small HFGH, but I don't really have a good place for it.

Thanks in advance!

Melanie

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor