SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amazonwildman

Experimental miniature green house(s).

10 years ago

Okay, so here is what I'm thinking: It's very hot where I live here in West Texas. Stays about 105F most days in the summer. I'm wanting to create a greenhouse like structure because plants often grow better in more humid and moist environments. This is not the environment I live in. But I want to build it out of a wooden box. Now here's the idea: I build a small wooden box, say 24 x 24, fill about 8-10" full of soil. Now, I bet you're wondering "Why would you plant something in a sealed dark box? Plants need sunlight!!!" Here's where project gets experimental. I want to install a solar coke bottle light in the top after lining the wooden lid with aluminum sheet metal. This would emit significant amounts of bright sunlight and the aluminum lid liner would reflect ambient sunlight around the box. But there's a problem...The solar bottle does not heat up. What about plants that need warmer temps to thrive? My theory is this: as hot as it is down here all I have to do is leave the box in the relative sunlight and this would create a very warm and humid environment inside the box while reducing and controlling the excessively scorching temperature that a plant would normally be subjected to in the open. Obviously, I can scale up the size of the box depending on the plant, but I'm thinking about using this for small herb plants like Basil, parsley, etc.

Here's my question: Is this possible, is it practical, and has something similar been done before?

Comment (1)