SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Quintessential Gardening Books

whaas_5a
13 years ago

I figured I refine the scope of a previous post and repost. I�m hoping to identify the (or a couple) quintessential books for various categories of gardening. As I began to poke around the web I found myriads of great books for gardeners but almost too many! A lot of them fall short of scope or are very specific (ie winter gardening with crabapple fruit).

If you have any suggestions for the various categories I�d like to know why you view it as the quintessential book for the category (ie source for newest cultivars or fantastic illustrations). I�m try to keep the categories somewhat top level and they are geared towards a horticultural/design viewpoint (vs. arborist, plant identification etc). I threw a couple suggestions out there of books that "looked" promising.

1) Landscape design

The Essential Garden Design Workbook: Second Edition [Paperback]

Rosemary Alexander

2) General plant reference

American Horticultural Society A to Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants (The American Horticultural Society) - Christopher Brickell

Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs: An Illustrated Encyclopedia by Michael A. Dirr

3) Pruning

American Horticultural Society Pruning & Training (American Horticultural Society Practical Guides) - Christopher Brickell

4) Gardening with Trees

The Homeowner's Complete Tree & Shrub Handbook: The Essential Guide to Choosing, Planting, and Maintaining Perfect Landscape Plants [Paperback]

Penelope O'Sullivan

5) Gardening with Conifers

Conifers for Gardens: An Illustrated Encyclopedia - Richard L. Bitner

Designing with Conifers: The Best Choices for Year-Round Interest in Your Garden - Richard L. Bitner

6) Gardening with shrubs

Great Flowering Landscape Shrubs by Vincent A. Simeone, Bruce Curtis, Michael D. Coe, and Michael A. Dirr

7) Gardening with perennials/bulbs

Continuous Bloom: A Month-by-Month Guide to Nonstop Color in the Perennial Garden - Pam Duthie

The Well-Tended Perennial Garden: Planting and Pruning Techniques - Tracy DiSabato-Aust

Comments (6)