SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgreenr

A few Specific questions about planting a garden in a Rion GH

DgreenR
14 years ago

Hi All,

I've had an 8 x 12ft Rion greenhouse for a few years now. It's not going to be the greenhouse I dream of, but I finally have some time to invest in it and I would like to make it nice. I have figured out how to keep it warm enough all winter for potted plants. The problem is, it's always a mess and by the time spring comes around pests (especially spider mites last year) and the stress of winter have killed most of the plants. I will have more time this winter to tend to the plants though!

The greenhouse is sitting on a Rion base which is on top of a wooden base. The ground is half stone that I put down quickly for a solid surface for shelves, but the rest is just soil. I was thinking I could just plant a beautiful garden in the ground instead of having lots of potted plants. Plants always do better in the ground in my experience. After all most plants did evolve to be in the the ground. My plan is to roto-till the existing mediocre soil and then add lots of topsoil/compost for slightly elevated beds. I will have a small section for sitting and relaxing with the plants.

My first question is, do you think the soil will stay warm enough during the coldest months of the winter to keep the plants alive, possibly even growing slightly? I'm concerned because the ground surrounding the greenhouse will be frozen solid at some points. Also, currently cold water drains off of the greenhouse into the soil inside of it. During the summer this is a blessing, but I'm afraid the water will be too cold when it's coming from melting snow/sleet. I think elevated beds could solve this problem, but I wanted to hear what others think. I think I've heard of coils you can put in the ground to keep the soil warm but I know nothing about them. I don't have a ton of electricity available in the greenhouse if I don't want to blow a fuse.

The plants I'm thinking about using and already have in pots in good health include brugmansia, passion flower vine, coleus, hibiscus, australian tree fern and maybe some others. I know these are all tropical plants, but I LOVE tropicals. I might just plant a few this year in the ground as a trial so that I don't kill a lot of plants. Also, I'm in Pittsburgh, PA if that helps at all.

Thank you for reading this long post! I would LOVE to have a greenhouse I could sit and relax in! Please feel free to leave any thoughts or comments.

cheers

Dan

Comment (1)