SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hurlee

can anyone tell me about epimedium?

hurlee
16 years ago

I have been eyeing a few chartreuse epimediums for my shade garden. Are they long lived? I'm tired of wimpy perennials. Could they grow in dry shade, or do they prefer moist? Does the folliage stay nice all summer? thanks for any input. :) jody

Comments (21)

• chelone
    16 years ago

Epimeduims (Epimedia?!) are very tough perennials. Mine retain their foliage beautifully through the winter. I grow mine in moister soils because I haven't much in the way of dry locations; but I knowing what I know about them it would be unlikely I would banish them to such a site, anyway.

You should do a search on them; you'll be surprised and delighted by what it will uncover for you.

In my opinion, this is a very subtle, sophisticated plant, elegant in every aspect. Like many groundcovers, it is something you appreciate more and more with every passing year.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Epimediums, sometimes referred to as bishop's hat or fairy flowers, are great little plants. There are scores of different types, some that are evergreen or hold their foliage through the winter and others that act more like dieback perennials. We can thank folks like Darrell Probst, Tony Avent and Dan Hinkley for introducing many of the newest varieties and making them more familiar to the gardening public. But be prepared to shell out a few bucks if you are looking for any but the most common forms as they are pricey plants the more exotic the flowers or the more unusual the selection.

Most are quite tolerant of dry shade and can become effective if slowly spreading groundcovers in these situations. Over time they will develop into a robust clump, but I would never consider them aggressive spreaders. New spring growth of many selections tends to be rather intensely colored with deep maroon, red or chartreuse leaves or a combination of these but will mature to a true green during the season. Many will also develop an intense reddish or coppery late fall and winter color as well. All will benefit from trimming back the old foliage in late winter or early spring as the flower buds begin to emerge. This will allow the delicate little flowers sprays to be easily visible as well as cleaning up the winter tattered foliage. And yes, they are extremely long lived and in my garden at least, seldom bothered by any insects, slugs included.

• Nancy
    16 years ago

I'm so glad you asked this, I just got my first epimedium too. I was hoping dry shade would be good.

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Here's a link to Darrell Probst's Epimedium gallery. He sells some of the more common species, hybrids and cultivars, as well as many rare (read expensive!) ones.
    I grow dozens of different ones and find that all are easily maintained in shade/partial shade, well drained locations.
    Have never tried them in permanently damp soil, as we haven't had that luxury around here for many years.
    The more common types are stocked by our local nurseries and are usually priced about $6-8 for a gal. sized plant.
    A great companion plant or as a focal specimen.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: The Epimedium Page

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

These are really tough little guys, mine are actually planted in what used to be a gravel driveway. The flowerbed has just had some planter box mix thrown over the gravel and look how well they're doing.
    I cut all the foliage off late winter, this way all the flowers show well, the new foliage is not far behind.
    One word of warning, they are addictive, the foliage looks good all through the year and the flowers are delightful. I bought mine from Fraser's Thimble Farms on Salt Spring Island. They have over 50 varieties listed in their catalog. I just love them, my collection is still growing. The little guy in front I just planted yesterday, the leaves are a creamy pale green with a reddish edge.

A......

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:217720}}

• chelone
    16 years ago

YES! because I allow the foliage to linger for its pretty interest in my New England garden I have to be "johnny on the spot" to to cut it down EARLY or the spent foliage hides the lovely delicate flowers.

Another reason I maintain this is a plant that GROWS on you... it's subtle, delicate, and rock solid HARDY. But if you don't LOOK for the flowers you'll likely pass them right by.

I have grown my plants in adequately moist, rich, acid soil. They thrive. I've read about the "dry shade" repeatedly over the years; it's lilely true, but not MY experience with this terrrific plant.

It's JEWEL. In the same category as Asarum europeum. I regard mosses with the same august respect. But I'm all about the right plant for the right place and watching them prosper...

• leslie197
    16 years ago

These clumps of Epimedium x versicolor Sulphureum are about 5 years old. They live directly under a very dense low growing Coralburst Crabapple tree in heavy shade and dry conditions. There is a soaker hose which is only used occasionally. They have expanded slowly over the years.

These epimediums stay perfect until late November or early December here. This is especially valuable to me because they can be seen every day from the patio chairs looking under the tree and out into the larger garden. The only maintenance required is pruning off the old foliage with hand hedge clippers in early April so that the flowers will show.

Picture was taken yesterday.
    {{gwi:217721}}

Picture taken 4/29/7 without full foliage development yet.
    {{gwi:217729}}

• mayalena
    16 years ago

Well -- I'll admit that I love them too, but I've killed lots -- in dry shade under Norway Maples and Betula Nigra... Of course, I love them so, I'll try again!
    ML

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    16 years ago

Some epimediums can handle dry shade better than others, though a Norway maple would make most blanch. Also, some have deciduous foliage and others have semi-evergreen foliage which must be cut back in late winter. A big bonus is that they are highly deer resistant.

• oldroser
    16 years ago

I have mine in dry shade under an apple tree in poor soil. I'd suggest keeping them watered the first year but after that they do fine. I got mine from Darrell Probst - just got the new catalog and the list of additional ones I want is too long already. Though some of the most delicious ones are, naturally, the most expensive. He has some for $6. and some for $40. - some spread and some clump and he notes if they spread (which is the kind I like).
    By spring there's never any foliage left to cut back so I don't have that problem. But it does look good all summer.

• hurlee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all for the helpful input and gorgeous pics. I really like the foliage on these.. adding to my list. secretly adding to my list of plants to purchase and sneak into my garden when hubby isn't looking.;)

• waplummer
    16 years ago

I second all the comments above. I brought a couple clumps of epumedium x rubrum up from my dad's some 40 years ago. I have used it and sulfurum to line the path leading into my front woods. Over the years I transplanted some to line my driveway. And then to line the path around the garage and a bank off the patio. Everybody that comes to the garden admires it no end. To control it I just cut into it with a spade and pot them up for plant sales. I jammed about sixty into 18 quart pots. I have two clumps which have seeded into a bank and into my woods. For the past several years I have been adding to the varieties.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    16 years ago

You rarely, if ever, see epimediums at nurseries because the bloom is over by the time nurseries open, and they know that blooms sell the plants.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Baloney! I see it at nearly every nursery I visit! You may not find the really "choice" varieties, but more common ones are readily available.

But, you're right... they don't look like much (generally) and only those who know what they're lookin' for are able to recognize the prince in the "toad".

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    16 years ago

Chelone, you must have much classier nurseries near you than I have near me. I've never seen one at a nursery.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Do you think it's a regional thing?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Perhaps :-) My nursery is open year round and I stock and sell a great many different types of epimediums. They sell just as well out of flower as in, but this may be because they are also planted in our display beds. And we tend to cater to a pretty sophisticated gardening public up here in the PNW and epis of all sorts are in high demand.

FWIW, a great many perennials will not bloom in a nursery situation - immature plants in some cases, or those that require establishment in the ground rather than in a nursery can - and they sell just as readily as those that do flower.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Gardengal,

I think you've just hit on a very important aspect of selling plants... the display garden. The helpmeet works for a garden center and they don't have one. It's terribly difficult for him to "convince" someone that, yes! the Baptisia will attain 4' and it will need a lot of room, or that the Epimedium will spread slowly and steadily to create a lovely, bullet-proof groundcover.

We too, live in a pretty garden-savvy area and while I have to travel between 20 and 75 miles to visit the places that carry the really "choice" items they ARE available. Moreover, the places I regularly haunt are very receptive to suggestions and actually appreciate them. I watched their stock go from the basics to really very comprehensive and rock solid hardy for our area.

Lacy., wish you were closer I could give you a generous shovelful of Epimedium rubrum today... :(

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Lacy- There's hope! I also never saw one in a local nursery (and trust me I looked!)... that is until this spring. I spotted two plants of sulfurum at (IMO) the best local nursery. I hope it's a trend since these plants looked much better than the ones I ended up mail ordering.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    16 years ago

Chelone, thank you for your kind offer, but I have a number of wonderful epimediums from Darrell Probst. I have E. rubrum, E. sulphureum, E. koreanum 'Harold Epstein', 'Pierre's Purple', 'Enchantress', "Dark Beauty', 'Cappella', and several others whose name I can't remember now. The one I want in the new catalog is 'Warlord', but at $150 I'll have to wait.

• leslie197
    16 years ago

When I went hunting locally for epimediums some years back, the only ones I could find were sulphureum. Since then I have once seen some rubra locally.

However Arrowhead Alpines in Fowlerville, Michigan does have a nice collection of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arrowhead Alpines

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County