SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wlfman

18 HP Briggs engine problem...

wlfman
15 years ago

I have an 18hp Briggs engine off of my Craftsman LT1000 riding mower, engine model# 31H777, type# 0202-E1. I had to rebuild the engine last fall as the previous owner had the common starting problem that has been discussed at length in other forums but did nothing about, the engine backfired several times and blew one of the rings. So I replaced all of the rings, honed the cylinder, replaced all of the gaskets, adjusted lifters back within specs, and verified the timing was dead on upon re-assymbly. When I remounted the engine I made sure all of the linkage for the choke/throttle were hooked up properly and it purrs like a kitten now, BUT, after the engine runs for 10 seconds the RMPs start to sky rocket unless the engine is put under load. Once under load the engine will run perfectly until the load is taken off and then the RMPs take off again.

What was the top end of the revs now seems to be the low end, this leads me to believe that I did not reinstall the slinger/governer properly. Does anyone know the proper reinstallation procedure or placement of the governer? I can not seem to find it anywhere. Or is it possibly a different problem?

Thank you for your help

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions