SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newgirlinnorcal

Sacramento Historic Rose Garden Open Garden

NewGirlinNorCal
12 years ago

I'm so excited! I went to the Early Bloom tour March 31st and it was wonderful even if it was cold and wet.

What time to people start lining up for the plant sale? In some of the old forums people said they were there at 8am, is that really true or are they exagerating?

I have two serious goals. First) to get a Mrs. Dudley Cross. I know it's an HT and I ought to be ashamed but I love it. And Second) to finally get it settled in my head what the different "flavors" of rose scents are because I have no idea what people mean when they say "classic damask scent." And of course I want to meet GardenWeb people!

Comments (25)

• jerijen
    12 years ago

NO NO! 'Mrs. Dudley Cross is a TEA ROSE. Not at all the same thing as an HT.

She's a lovely rose, too.

I hope many go, and send back photos.
    I know now that it is a good thing we did not try to squeeze that trip in before leaving for OK. It wasn't easy to give it up, but it was the smart thing to do.

Jeri

• ilovemyroses
    12 years ago

I wish I could transport myself there!! Grandmother's Hat would come home in my carry-on!!

• Related Discussions

Sacramento Historic Rose Garden Open Garden

Q

Comments (28)
    I'd love to hear the news and see the pictures too, Paula. I honestly have no idea how the day went! When you are putting on an event, and leading tours, the day goes by much too quickly. I took not a single photo, and hope that folks who did come are willing to share. I saw Daun, and Michael AT, and several of the Vintage friends, so folks certainly turned out. If Aprille was here, I didn't get to meet her. From my perspective, it was a great day, although it was quite hot. The roses loved it, and many opened obligingly throughout the day. Many people bought roses, and I think that we are set with enough money in the budget for another year's operations. Heartfelt thanks to everybody who came to help (Jeri and Clay for the great catalog, especially) and everyone who came for a lovely day. The folks who stayed overnight are planning to meet up tomorrow morning for just a little more time in the cemetery. It's hard to tear away... Anita
    ...See More

Sacramento Historic Rose Garden, April 18 Open Garden

Q

Comments (4)
    Hey Anita: Thanks for posting that. I had it marked on my calendar already:) Last year my MIL and husband went down for me and had great fun. That was when I got Lupe's Buttons which was such a find. I'm really excited for this event. Now about that catalog can a person got one in advance? Or just on the 18th? Thanks again for all that is done to make the Open Garden sale happen. Kate
    ...See More

Open Garden - Historic Rose Garden - Sacramento City Cemetery

Q

Comments (1)
    The rose garden is beautiful and full of blooms. Please come by and visit Saturday morning before it gets above 80 :). Free. No admission price; however donations gladly accepted.
    ...See More

Bermuda Spice

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks everybody! Adam- I don't know if it is- none of the Australian rose dealers are listed on Help Me Find. Maybe if someone is growing it in Oz they'd be willing to give you a cutting? I hope you can get one!
    ...See More
  • jerijen
    12 years ago

I wish I was there myself, but I realize, now, the timing would have been REALLY tough.

I hope those who are there take lots of photos and video, so we can share the day at a remove.

Jeri

• NewGirlinNorCal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh! Jeri I was really hoping I'd get to meet you! Have fun in Ok.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Perhaps, in the Fall, for the Seminar (Oct. 14-15, I think). We'll be in Sacramento for THAT. :-)

Jeri

• NewGirlinNorCal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, it was hot but great. I took off a little after 10 (if you saw a girl carrying a shrub, that was me) but it seemed like there was a really good turnout. I heard the Chico group brought about 20 people!

The light was so bright that I could only get a few pictures I could feel good about.

"Rusty's Angels Camp Orange" deserves his reputation:
    {{gwi:252969}}

'John Hopper' showing off:
    {{gwi:252970}}

And I just fell in love with 'Souvenier de Mme. Leonie Viennot' the shadow makes it hard to see the apricot cast to the outer petals of the blooms.:
    {{gwi:252971}}

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I've never seen Rusty's rose looking better.
    Looks like things were great.

I missed being there dreadfully -- but realize I really didn't have the time for the trip, this year.

Jeri

• daun
    12 years ago

Missed you Jeri!
    It was a fun day - Took my husband for the first time. He now understands why I love this yearly jaunt.

• harmonyp
    12 years ago

More pics please for those of us who need to experience vicariously!

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Janelle Michel has posted some terrific pix on Facebook.

Daun -- It sure looks like the garden couldn't have been better.

I thought about all of you often yesterday, as we scampered back and forth, working on getting ready for our long trip East. I know for sure, now, that we were right not to go, but it was a tough decision.

I love the Cemetery in the Fall, tho, almost as much as in Spring -- so I can look forward to the Seminar there in mid-October. (To tell you the truth, I love it in a December rainstorm, too. It has no "bad" season, for me.)

I look forward to catching up, in October.

Jeri

• harmonyp
    12 years ago

NewGirl - are you going to leave us in suspense? Which shrub did you take home?

• daun
    12 years ago

I will share my purchase information..
    1. Bengal Fire - China
    2. Like Lamarque - Noisette
    3. Mrs. Keays Pink - Noisette
    4. Old Town Novato - Hybrid Perpetual
    5. Mrs. Dudley Cross - Tea
    6. Placerville White - Noisette

All of them impulse purchases - If anyone has a comment on the above roses it would be greatly appreciated.
    Daun

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Daun -- You SCORED! :-)

You know that Bengal Fire is a match for Vintage's Sanguinea (Miss Lowe's variety), right? It's a humdinger of a rose, IMHO.
    I grow that, OTN, and Placerville White (who I call "Jacob Zeisz") and they're all great here.
    I WANT Mrs. Keays "Faded Pink Monthly" (that's the original Study Name for it). I suspect a vendor clapped a different name on it because they thought "Faded Pink Monthly" wouldn't sell?

"Like Lamarque" is for all intents and purposes a good clone of 'Lamarque.' It's been a survivor in CA, and I love it.

Mrs. Dudley Cross mildewed here at the coast, but inland, she should be lovely.

Jeri

• NewGirlinNorCal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Harmony- sorry! It's marked as an "Unknown Polyantha" and I thought I was going to have to wait weeks to get started on my id process (which I should warn you is about as crazy as a freshman undecided finally settling on a major) but it bloomed this morning! I think it wanted to say "thank you." Or possibly "sorry" since I am a little bit scratched up.

It has "lotus" form blooms, globe up & skirt down, which looks like Anne Marie de Montravel. We'll see where it goes from here!

Here's the lotus shape:
    {{gwi:252972}}

And here's a better sense of the spray:
    {{gwi:252973}}

• harmonyp
    12 years ago

It is gorgeous! Congratulations!!

• NewGirlinNorCal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I had been hoping they'd have a Marie Pavie but I'll admit to feeling a little smug that this is a teeny bit rare. If it does turn out to be Anne Marie; it could turn out to be almost anything!

• organic_tosca
    12 years ago

New Girl - You may have seen me, a fellow GardenWebber, if you used the "Rose Hotel" to stash your plant in order to wander the garden unencumbered. There were three of us volunteers manning that station. I think that next year I will attach a small extra name tag to my big name tag, in order to say "Hello, GardenWebbers, I am Organic Tosca". I'm glad you got a rose - it looks like a lovely little thing. Since you are interested in sorting out the various rose scents, I hope you got to visit the Welcome tables just inside the front gate - one table had a variety of blossoms, each one in its own little jar, so that visitors could pick each jar up and smell the rose in it. The volunteer manning that table would have been glad to help you try them all and sort them out. If you missed it, there's always next year!
    P.S. I loved your photo of Mme. Leonie Viennot!

Daun - All I can tell you is that Bengal Fire, Mrs. Dudley Cross, and Old Town Novato are gorgeous plants here in the Cemetery Garden. I think you got a great group!

To all who came: Thank you, and WE had a great time, too!

Laura

• cemeteryrose
    12 years ago

Another Open Garden, which went by in its usual blur. I hugged and said hi to a lot of people but there were so many that I didn't get to meet, didn't get to see, and certainly didn't get to talk with! It's an intense experience when you are in the middle of the annual hurricane of rose frenzy. (Many of you know that I am the volunteer manager of the garden.)

It was an INCREDIBLE DAY despite the heat. The roses are now a bit crispy from the heat, but they were wonderful on Saturday. I truly don't think there has ever been a day that the garden has looked better.

I can't begin to list the people but here are a few. Peggy Martin is here, and spoke to a small group. I wish that we had publicized it better because it was simply wonderful hearing her speak. Fred Boutin and Gregg Lowery were here. Carolyn Parker came, and Mendocino Rose (Pamela). Capt Thomas' great-granddaughter (he's the breeder of Dr. Huey and many other roses, many of which are lost) came with his photo album and other memorabilia. Fred, his wife and several other people joined our curator, Barbara Oliva, in being recognized as original founders of the garden 20 years ago. It is so exciting to see what has developed from it.

I remember there being a GW gathering at El Cerrito years ago. At future Open Gardens, maybe we should set a time and meeting place (the Rose Hotel would be perfect) for people to say hi to one another. We could also set out name badges and have people write GW and the name that we know you by.

But you don't have to wait a year - do come to the symposium Oct 13-15!
    Anita
    PS no photos from me - I just get too busy.
    PPS Daun you scored big with those roses. I don't know the Mrs. Keays rose - we are adding it to our collection - but the rest are wonderful. Bengal Fire blooms as well in December and March as it does repeatedly throughout the year, and is a special favorite of mine.

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

The garden was a near perfect as possible. I have to say that I'm always near tears when I first arrive and walk through the upper area where most of the teas are growing. I was thrilled to see my friends though sorry that Jeri wasn't there. For those of you who haven't gone this is one of the world's great rose gardens. You must do your best to see it sometime. There will be a rose conference in October. I won't miss it.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I won't miss it, either.

You can't miss me. I'll be the lady with a long-haired Dalmatian on a leash, when-ever we are outside. :-)

Jeri

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

I'll be the lady with the cute Whippet!

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Yes, she will! :-)

Jeri

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

It was absolutely wonderful. I had a responsibility at home in the early afternoon that prevented me from staying longer than an hour and a half. Still, I was happy; I've missed going the past two years. I was able to see some good friends (if briefly), admire stunning roses, and buy one rose ('Mrs Dudley Cross') to take home with me. It was well worth the long drive.

'Lady Hillingdon' was stunning. I fell in love with a moss rose I must have seen before, but never in full glory, 'Laneii'. Not for my local climate, though.

Rosefolly

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I love visiting the mosses there, because we can't grow them here.

Jeri

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Anita, I like your idea of a GW meet and greet of some sort. I met a GW reader who does not post, but only by accident. I know there were more I didn't meet, but would love to have spoken to. In the brief time I had it wouldn't have worked, but next year....

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH