SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntl1991

Foundations For a Storage Shed

ntl1991
12 years ago

I'm going to be building a storage shed, roughly 8'x10' or maybe 10'x12' (if I can squeeze one in) in the immediate left-rear corner of my lot. There is an existing 10x12 concrete slab which was the floor for a concrete-block shed. When I bought the house, the wooden roof had caved in years prior, and all the rusty, old parts to a complete Ford F-150 were inside... The side and rear concrete block walls of the shed continue on to form a wall dividing my property. The wall is leaning very badly, and will be removed and replaced with a 6' stockade fence in the fall. Right now though, I need a garage space for one of my tenants, and that means building a place for my yard tools, snowblower, two push lawnmowers, wheelbarrow, and what not... I know, I know. I'm going to have to consolidate. :(

My question is, how will the foundation of such a shed be built? I do not want to set the walls directly on the concrete slab as it is cracked in some places, and I want to have a wooden floor to ensure vermin and what not don't enter. As you can see, I knocked down the front wall of the shed and left the bottom course, which looks like a real pain to remove. I'd like (if I can) to set the building on this front course of concrete block, as well as the one on the left hand wall (which is about 2 feet further in on my property than it should be...) and build a course to support the back and right of the shed.

Or could I just drop a load of crushed stone on the slab, place some concrete piers, and build a shed with skids on the piers?

I'll have to check the regulations with the city as far as setbacks go. Will I be able to build a shed in the immediate corner of my lot? What about a temporary shed? Is a shed with piers considered temporary? These are the sort of things I will have to look into...

{{gwi:301550}}

{{gwi:301552}}

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor