SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candie1230_gw

Plant ID, Does anyone know what this thing is?

candie1230
13 years ago

I have this plant growing along side my house. My mom has grown interested and has let it grow to an unbelievable size. It's current size it about 3 feet high and about 5 feet wide. Any ideas what this is so I can figure out how to deal with it?

Thanks

{{gwi:216044}}

Comments (12)

• nutmeg4061
    13 years ago

I think it`s Burdock, a MASSIVE weed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burdock

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Looks like burdock, and it's roots go deep.

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

candie, where are you? burdock root( if this is the same plant)is one of my fav veggies. The japanese eat it alot- Gobo. Skinny long carrot like roots; mild nutty flavor.

on sushi bars, it is orange(pickled)and really skinny-1/4" wide and in 3" lengths.

i WANT yours!! (like paul simon says, "one man's ceiling is another man's floor!")
    best,
    mindy

Here is a link that might be useful: about burdock

• noinwi
    13 years ago

If you keep it, I wouldn't let it go to seed...the burs are just awful to remove from stuff...especially pets.

• jayco
    13 years ago

I, too, love the burdock root used in Japanese dishes, aka gobo. Unfortunately, however, the burdock that grows in the US is a different species, and while it is edible, it is not nearly as culinarily desirable as the Japanese variety. I would yank it out and if you want to eat gobo, go to a Japanese restaurant or buy the stuff imported from Japan or Taiwan.

• candie1230
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys for the info. I live in Windsor, Ontario. My mom says if you guys want it you can come get it and dig it out yourself. I swear she's part hippy! She said she's going to let it grow because that's where it wants to be! We don't really care about that side of the house or what grows there because the local stray cats seem to like using our house as their bathroom, no matter what we do.

• njmomma
    13 years ago

My mom is the same way. They had one of these grow up through their old deck and it was huge! They just kept it there for years watching it get bigger and bigger.
    Finally the deck had to be replaced and now no more huge ugly weed! :)

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

From another similar post that I responded too:

You can eat the stems! If you like artichokes, you will like them. Here's the directions I wrote for another post awhile back:
    You need to collect the stems in spring while the plants still resemble rhubarb plants. And like rhubarb, you want the stems only, no leaves. Once they go into flower stalk mode, it is to late.
    After cleaning well, you want to cut the stems up sort of like chopping celery for soup, but a bit bigger. Put them all in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Then simmer for 15-20 minutes, then drain. The draining out of the water is to get rid of the sometimes strong flavor. Put back in the pot and add new hot water and bring to a boil again and then simmer for at least 15 more minutes. You need to check every once in awhile after that to see when tender.
    Once tender, drain.
    Put the burdock in a large mixing bowl. You will need to add beaten eggs to them until well coated. How many eggs of course depends on how much burdock you cooked so to give an exact amount I can't say, but it should be a gooey mess.
    Then you need to add bread crumbs and grated parmesan or romano cheese. Using already seasoned bread crumbs is easier. When I used the seasoned I still add a bit more garlic powder, oregano, and black pepper. Again how much I can't say but you want to make a really nice gooey mess. You don't want it to get to dry, but you don't want it too wet either. Lol, I hope I'm making sense. Well, the amounts don't need to be exact. It will come out good!
    Then you fry the mixture in batches over med high heat. Use a good pan or flat griddle that doesn't stick and a little bit of oil. When you put the mixture into the pan, you need to flatten it out a bit so it is like a thick pancake. You want to fry until one side is golden brown, then flip and cook until that side is golden brown also.
    If something doesn't make sense, let me know,
    Remy

• pam_whitbyon
    13 years ago

Candie, you may get a chuckle out of this thread - I posted almost exactly a year ago. Btw I pulled it out, it wasn't easy, but it never came back...

Here is a link that might be useful: My Giant Green Thing was a Burdoclk

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

yum, remy, why aren't you my neighbor?!
    mindy

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Mindy,
    You would love it! Too bad you aren't a neighbor. I actually brought it last year as a dish to the WNY plant swap that the local GWers have every year. Most everyone ate it too!
    Remy

• donicaben
    13 years ago

Keep the cats away from it when it "blooms". :-D My cat's have bald spots all the time from ripping the stuff out of their fur.