SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alyciaadamo

Variegated Weigela,buddleia, peony

alyciaadamo
14 years ago

I have three different plants to discuss

I know peonies do well here it's pretty much the most common flower/bush where I live. I planted 5 last fall. 1 of them I bought off ebay last spring and grew it in a planter all summer but put it in the ground in the fall and let it die back it is doing the best of all but my other 4 not so much. My mom got them from Michigan bulb so they never had any growth last year I put them right from their package in the ground. They are all in the same planter and the only difference is some have only an hour less of sunlight less than others(due to shadows of the house) and the worse one of all is towards the corner under a dormer so all the rain water collects where it is planted. They are all alive and all are growing(although I planted one upside down so it has had a slower start and one couldn't seem to break through the soil-but then I helped it and is doing fine) My real concern is while most are doing good the one that is towards the corner is only one stem and is only 2 inches tall- while all the others are well branched and have decent leaves the best being a foot tall(w/7 branches) and the others(minus the one planted upside down)are at least 6-7 inches . Is there something I could do besides moving it to a better place? I really don't have a lot of other places to put it and that spot is by far the sunniest for these plants. Please any suggestions would help.

My second topic- I have 4 variegated weigelias in my front yard. They are all alive but all growing at very different paces.I bought all 4 from the same place at the same time they were in planters all last summer. I pinched the flowers off last summer (but learned not to do it again though!) I planted them all last fall at the same time and all have the same soil and the same fertilization. My problem is-while three are growing well the one that gets the most sun(all or most of it being morning sun)has only a few leaves growing at the base- we almost gave it up for dead but wanted to give it more time to see if it was still alive. My only thought is that this one plant is the closest to the front corner of the porch where there is a large rock shelf two feet down and it freezes the worst here(causing a huge frost heave in the winter) could this be the problem? I have thought of moving it to one other spot but that spot might not have as much sun that it needs(again like my peonies-sun is limited) what should I do? Should I just wait the summer and see how it does? Can I give it some kind of boost?

My third and final question the quickest and easiest- I really want to have a butterfly bush-buddleia but they say they are only hardy to zone 5- I am a zone 3/4 is there anything I can do besides dig it up every fall to get it to winter over?(I assume it does not die back like a peony.)

Any info would greatly help thank you.

oh and most of the soil is dirt I bought from a bulk construction company but the dirt that is already existing here is a clay mix.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz