SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_e

Paint my blank canvas, or I've been bitten by the Rose Bug

Rachel.E
11 years ago

First, let me give many thanks to those of you who have given me wonderful advice and encouragement over the past few weeks. I still feel like I have no idea what the heck I'm doing, but I am determined!

So I was shopping happily along at HEB when lo and behold on a CLEARANCE table were some Earthkind "dormant" roses. These roses had clearly broken dormancy, and were sprouting some lovely little shoots. So they screamed at me, and I took them home. I could've bought all 10 of the plants remaining, but on such a strict budget with four little kids and a one-income family, I refrained. I took home a Climbing Pinkie and a sad little Duchesse de Brabant. They were only $5 each, and I almost came home with a Caldwell Pink, too, but I had to think of the children...

Then, I had to sweet talk DH into building me another flower bed....since we are just now trying to make our yard presentable, it wasn't much of a hard sell...we have tons of room and not much to show for it. I think he saw that he is in for a lot of roses in the near future, so he made it nice and big. 25ft wide and about 10-12 ft deep!

It's pretty much a clean slate...I have Gruss an Aachen on the left hand side, Mme Isaac Periere in the back, and my tiny little Duchesse de Brabant on the right. They look lonely.

Now I know they'll get bigger, but there's got to be room for some other gems in here! What do I do? What should I plant?? I already have plans to add Nacogdoches and a Chrysler Imperial here, since I am lacking red and yellow, and DH requested Nacogdoches (since when does he care?)

I know NOTHING about companions. Or about how many roses I can put in here. I actually just know nothing in general. I love a "cottage" garden look, and wanted to plant some scabiosa or some other leggy lovely...but I am paralyzed by fear of making something heinous.

Help?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County