SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertgreenhouse

help with misting/prop timer trouble

desertgreenhouse
14 years ago

I am having trouble with the valve on my propagation timer and am hoping someone here might have some suggestions before I contact DIG tech support again.

I have the single-station timer listed at the bottom of this page: http://www.mrdrip.com/propagationtimers.htm

I am using it for cooling my greenhouse. I have another thread related to that (cooling aspect) here:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/strucs/msg0608261215898.html

When the timer and valve first came in, the solenoid was bad so they sent a new one. We got it in late last week and I've been playing around with the times since Saturday and having a lot of problems. The valve stops working after a while and it seems to be related to the water somehow. I got a pressure meter to be sure it was running at the recommended pressure and it is, so that isn't the problem but it seems to have something to do with it.

When the water is turned off, there are no problems. I first ran the timer at 10 seconds every 5 minutes and that seemed to be great esp. since it takes about a minute to get all the water out of the misting system hose after the valve shuts off. It ran well at this setting for about 3 hours and then the valve stopped shutting off and so it was just running nonstop.

I turned the water off and let the pressure out and tried it again and it worked for about 30 minutes. I then took the solenoid out and flushed it out, then set it for 20 seconds every 10 minutes and it worked about 6 hours before the valve again stopped shutting off. But this is really not often enough to keep it as cool as it needs to be.

I should note the timer continues to work properly, the valve is just not responding to the timer when it does this.

I have played around with several different time combinations as well as adjusting the flow from both the faucet and the adjuster screw at the top of the valve with the same to no success.

Right now I have it at 35 seconds every 15 minutes and it's been working fine for more than 3 hours. This isn't enough to cool it as much as I'd like, but I'm afraid to mess with it again if it continues to work at this rate.

I am new to all of this, but I am following the instructions and troubleshooting properly as far as I can understand, as well as advice from tech support.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding this or experience with a similar situation ending in success? Thank you so much!

Comments (6)