SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
awdunstan

Gilson tiller, model #501, leaky seals

awdunstan
12 years ago

I have a Gilson tiller, model #501 (not a four digit number like all the others I've seen listed). It's a front tine tiller, v-belt and worm gear driven. There's a small metal plate on the side of the drive pulley housing that says:

GILSON RENTER

Model #501

Serial number 71R 1286

Gilson Bros. Co., Fredonia, Wis.

The engine is not original (the guy I got it from had replaced it) so that's no help in further identification.

It runs well but the shaft seals leak like a pair of sieves. It looks like each seal is covered by a ring/flange, through which the shaft passes (one ring per seal); each ring has three holes in it's outer perimeter and is held in place with three 3/16" cap screws. I've removed the tines & the cap screws, which lets the retainer ring (if that's what it is) turn freely and rattle around a bit but since the shafts don't come out and the rings don't move more than 1/8" away from the gear housing I can't get behind the retainer ring & replace the seals.

Any clues on how I might proceed further? I hate to think I'm dribbling large amounts of gear lube all over my garden.

Thanks!

Comments (9)