SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Derelict cement block garage into Greenhouse?

User
13 years ago

Ok, we have an old cement block garage on our property that is missing all signs of a roof structure. Tree roots have broken and lifted the cement slab floor, and broken a couple of the walls. DH at first wanted to take it down, but I like the art neuveau look of it--like an old 1940s service station, to be honest.

What I want to do is reroof it as a greenhouse, and maybe put an Endless Pool in one end of it. The structure is 22 feet wide with an 8 foot roll up door on the right hand side.

The depth is about 18 feet. It faces west, which means the shorter dimensions face north and south.

We live in Mobile AL, which is zone 8B. All trees to the south side are deciduous oaks, sweetgum, pecan, and a danged old camphor tree. All on that side are in the neighbor's yard. We removed all our pines two years ago.

There is some shade in the earlier hours of the day, but by late afternoon it is baking in the garage.

What should I do to have a plant asylum in this space?

I have some container plants to protect and my house is too small to hold them all in the winter. I want to grow orchids and bromeliads and tillandsias and bougainvillea and some palms and semi tender plants. And some winter garden foods too.

One thought is to have a low half roof to the south side, and to put earth on it and also plants. Then kick the north half of the roof up way high, so there would be tall expanses of window vertically oriented, where the two halves would meet (if they were the same angles). I could then make the north half which is more vertical in angle out of Lexan panels? Let that be the translucent material?

Can any of you folks throw any suggestions my way? It will take a while to do this, but I don't want to tear down the garage, and I do so badly want a quiet place to commune with my plant muse.

{{gwi:299898}}

{{gwi:299899}}

Comments (12)