SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardener_sandy

Compost tea questions

gardener_sandy
16 years ago

I've searched and read quite a bit on this forum about aerated compost tea but didn't find the answers to a couple of questions I have so forgive me if they've been answered and I missed them.

My patch of grass is in rather compacted clay soil and seems to need some help with the microherd. I want to apply compost tea to it but in our area it is not recommended to fertilize lawns in the spring. The suggestion is that it leads to lush top growth at the expense of the stored food in the roots and may weaken the lawn to the point it may not survive our typical summer drought. I don't water the lawn. That said, does using compost tea several times a summer make a difference or should I wait till fall, the preferred time for lawn fertilization? Along with this, should I aerate the lawn prior to using the tea?

My second question regards the compost itself. I cold compost, having several piles around the place which usually set about a year before being used. Is cold-made compost ok to use for compost tea?

Comments (8)