SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

Starting & Maintaning a Compost Bin

ricksample
10 years ago

From my other thread about my soil not draining as good and I have decided to add compost probably next year. I priced leaf compost at $25 a yard... well that surly adds up when you need 10 yards a bed. I figured I can try to make as much of it myself especially since I have tons of leaves int he fall.

I've been reading up on this all day and I might just build a small wooden container this weekend. I have enough leaves in our wooded area that I could use for the bottom, I have a lot of newspaper around, an unlimited supply of shredded office paper here at work, we eat a lot of fruits and can have a lot of banana peels, apple cores, etc. We also have a catch and can collect grass clippings. During spring & fall I cleanup dead branches & weed out bushes that I can use.

My question is can I use almost any food scraps or should I stay away from stuff like Mac n Cheese, spaghetti, meats?

Also, if I start this year and won't need it until next spring, will it be OK sitting during winter? I'm doing my plantings this spring, but I'm not going to physically work the with stuff like compost and mulch until next spring.

Any tips/suggestions?

Comments (8)