SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Question on Hydrostatic Transmission

{{gwi:315190}}

{{gwi:315192}}

{{gwi:315193}}

OK, let's start this with me saying I don't particularly like hydro's in tractors. This Roper was given to me and it took quite a bit of work to get it up and running. In addition to not liking hydros, don't know anything about them other than changing fluid, etc. per manual. Everything else around here is a manual trans.

In the first pic, you'll notice the "motion control lever" which merely slides up and down to determine how fast you're going. The tension on this is very weak and it creeps down and slows the unit unless I keep my hand on it. From the parts list, there are two "friction washers" which, I assume, when new keep the lever where you put it. I've tried to order them using the "AYP + part number" in Google and a lot of places list them. The subtlety is that no one stocks them. They take your $$ and then report them as "back ordered." I've gone through this with two different places this winter and after 4-6 weeks demanded and received a refund.

The LT is a Roper LTH 120AR, I forget if it's a '82 or '88, anyway the guy who gave it to me said it was one of the first hydros around. 12 HP Briggs single cylinder.

My question for those of you knowledgeable about old hydros is, can I fabricate or buy something else to replace the friction washers? I readily admit to being lazy here, it's just that getting to this assembly requires removing a lot of stuff including the battery tray, mounting brackets for same, etc.

I've also considered filing or otherwise creating a series of indentations in the slot the lever rides in. The lever is spring loaded and is held against the right side so that would seem viable. I don't know if "locking" this lever which seems intended to slow if under severe load or something would damage the hydro? 'Course it wouldn't be locked, it would be held in a circular depression by the spring.

The second pic is of the tires on this Roper which was the topic of my recent posting on "cutting tire tread for traction." You will note that there's plenty of tread there, but on the hills we have here, and on grass, not adequate.

The third pic is the cart I use the Roper to haul around. The cart is almost as big as the LT, when it's loaded the traction is much better, but in no way comparable to the other small tractors that have Ag tires. Oh, the Roper has a mower deck on it, I got that working while I was fixing, but don't use it at all, just leave it there for added weight in hopes it helps traction.

So, any thoughts, opinions, etc. from you folks who are more knowledgeable than I?

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Comments (14)

Sponsored
More Discussions