SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
themonk_gw

Pergola Strength - need opinions

themonk
17 years ago

Hello,

I plan on building a pergola in my backyard this summer and would like some opinions on whether it will be strong enough.

The structure will be 15 x 12 at the tip of the rafters and 13 x 10 between posts. there will be two sets of joists 15ft in length. One set of joists will be held up with 4 4x4 posts and the other with 3 4x4 posts. The joists themselves will be 2x6's and I plan on using two carriage bolts to hold them in place at each post.

Once the joists are up 9 2x4s that are 12' long will form the top of the arbor. The posts will be dug 3 1/2 feet into the ground and cemented in then cut so the arbor is 8' tall.

Most of the stucture will be enclosed with lattice. There will be an opening at the bottom (see drawing below) and one at the top left to enter. The plan is to then cover the entire structure with either arctic kiwi or N. American Bittersweet vines.

Here is a plan of the arbor from above:

http://www.neo-media.ca/mytempfiles/arbor-top.gif

Will the 4x4 posts be stong enough to support the structure plus the vines? In particular I'm concerned the 2x4s might not be robust enough to hold the vines adequately. (the span on the 4x4s between posts is about 9'.)

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Pierre

Comments (5)