SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

Do you have any favorite hellebores?

I know there is a dedicated hellebore forum but I thought I would post this here since this forum gets more traffic and all of you seem quite varied in your interests :-)

I have recently started to become intrigued by hellebores. Newer seed strains and tissue cultured clones are a far cry from the Plain Janes (albeit elegant Plain Janes) of the past. I hesitated for many years about these plants because they are expensive, but I decided to take the plunge when I realized that these plants, much like peonies, settle in and expand over time at their own slow pace and, all things considered, are really no more expensive than your average peony.

I have added a few plants to a partially shaded bed alongside the walkway leading to my front porch this spring. I added 'Ivory Prince', 'Pink Frost', 'Cinnamon Snow', 'Red Sapphire', 'Black Diamond' and an unnamed butter yellow single with red spots. The first three are tissue cultured plants and the latter three were raised from seed strains.

I also added a 'Josef Lemper' (a tissue cultured selection of Helleborus niger) to another, slightly more sheltered area of my garden to encourage the late fall blooms.

But the one I have most deeply fallen in love with is a 'Mrs Betty Ranicar' that was blooming at my local garden center. In general, I think I prefer single-flowered hellebores but there was something so pure and special about this one. Almost completely double frilly pure white flowers with a tinge of green toward the center with an absolutely perfect form. This is a seed strain that is said to come quite true from seed, but I was able to select my favorite from a group of blooming plants. The one I chose appeared to have slightly larger and better formed blooms than the others. The tag stated they were raised by a wholesaler in Indiana so it is possible that other independent garden centers around these parts will also carry this plant.

I have to add that the 'Black Diamond' is incredibly interesting. I knew the color would not be good for overall garden effect and would be best for up-close scrutiny. So, with that in mind, I planted it very close to the sidewalk to be easily visible to people who walk by. It has now been planted for about two weeks and people have gone crazy over it! Neighbors have asked me what the "black flower" is and, when I am at home during the day, I have seen many people stop to take photos with their phones. You would think it is the only flower in the world, lol!

Tell me, what are your favorite hellebores and what are your experiences with them?

Comments (2)