SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosepep

Black Spot on canes

rosepep
16 years ago

I've been reading about how black spot can affect the canes on the roses and cause reddish purple legions on the canes. From my reading I have many questions.

1.Does anyone have any pictures of what that might look like? I think one of mine is suffering from that but I want to make sure before I do something drastic to it.

2. Once the canes are infected, is there anything I can do for them, or is pruning below the infection the only way to get rid of the bs? I'm almost certain black spot has overwintered in the canes of my Just Joey and I didn't cut it back far enough.

3. Just b/c a rose gets bs on its leaves, does that mean it will automaticall get bs on it's canes? (b/c that would be all of mine)

4. If I were to have sprayed a dormant oil or lime sulphur over the winter, would this have killed the bs in the canes?

Thank you all so much for answering my exhausting questions. I really just want to understand what I'm doing wrong. Last year I was distracted from my garden from about October until February of this year when I pruned. Do you all think I ruined my garden beyond repair with the months of neglect?

Comments (2)