SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Need a Drop Spreader for Salt

Hi Folks,

Guess everyone is as frozen as we are at this point. Driveway is in good shape as far as being clear of snow. Issue is, it's gravel and the blowing snow and partial melt tends to form ice where the vehicle wheels are.

Don't want to use a rotary spreader as I haven't seen one which will only throw a 8' wide pattern. Don't want to kill grass on both sides of the drive. A drop spreader would be great as it would only drop a 24" or so pattern. Perfect for this application.

When we first moved here I was given a drop spreader. Never used it for fertilize as I have a 600lb. three point hitch one I use on one of the big tractors. I saved it intending to use it for dropping salt. Issue was, that they tend to only have one "drive" wheel and that just skids along on ice and snow and doesn't move the rotator to drop anything. Briefly thought about adding something for traction, e.g. short sheet metal screws, then was concerned they'd come out and end up in tires. Also thought about "spiraling" some thin chain around the tire by drilling holes. That wouldn't work as the tires were too close to the hopper.

Defaulted to a bucket of salt (ice melt) which I'd sprinkle where needed. Doctor wants me to walk more anyway.

I know I could get a tow behind rotary and use something which will melt ice and snow and not damage grass. I forget what it's called but tends to be pricey and most would end up on the grass.

Anyone know of a drop spreader with an aggressive tread pattern?

Keep warm,

Ev

Comments (17)

Sponsored
More Discussions