SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

How's your rose year looking so far?

linrose
15 years ago

Just thought I'd ask how everyone's gardens are shaping up this spring. Did you guys buy lots of new roses or are you being frugal and just maintaining what you have. How does the current economy affect your gardening or doesn't it affect it at all? What about the weather, how have the rains or temperature made your garden decisions for you? What about bugs or diseases - any sign of what is going to be banner years for any of them?

I'm just curious because I've noticed certain things in my gardens. For my part, in zone 6b southcentral KY, we had abundant rainfall in March, with cooler than average temperatures. That was followed by above average temps in April and lots of sun. The winter was mild and I think we are in for a big bug year. Already the mayflies are so thick the birds look fat and happy! The sawfly larvae have pretty much eaten all my young roses' leaves to a nub. And my dog and cats are covered in ticks even though I use Frontline on them. I found one on my scalp and my daughter found one on her hip the other day. On the other hand that could be a good sign for the beneficials as well. Let's hope so!

I'm so excited to see the bloom on the roses this year, Bubble Bath is completely smothered in buds, when it blooms it will definitely live up to its name!

The balance of rain and sun and temperatures has provided an almost ideal situation for all my gardens. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for a glorious gardening year.

What about you?

Comments (22)