SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenjoie

Searching for the perfect climbing rose...

jenjoie
9 years ago

Hello, all!

I have an ugly, past-its-prime crepe myrtle that I think I may use as a support for a climbing rose. The crepe myrtle is about 12 feet tall and narrow; the branches grow either upwards or are curved slightly in, giving it the appearance of a powder brush or one of those wire head massagers.
When we moved into the house a couple of years ago, the tree was infested with ants. We cleared up the infestation, but the tree was damaged to the point that it will not bloom. It is alive and produces leaves, but several of the branches feel hollow.
I feel like I need a rose that is going to be somewhat mannerly and not overtake the tree; due to the damage, I don't know that it will support an overly large or heavy plant. Not a miniature, necessarily, just not a monster.
Does anyone have a suggestions? I would prefer something colorful (any color) that is at least a semi-repeat bloomer (although I know I won't get much from it in the summer heat), that climbs easily but does not get too large or bushy.
I live in South Mississippi, zone 8b. Parts of our yard have clay-like soil, although I have yet to dig in the particular area where this rose would be. I was able to easily grow a hybrid tea with no soil amendments, fertilizers or sprays last year. The area will be full sun and from what I can tell stay fairly moist year-round.

Thanks!

Comments (10)