SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mossanimal

Small greenhouse thermal mass ideas

mossanimal
14 years ago

Hi... I'm new to this forum and I live in northern Wisconsin on Lake Superior where it is very cold but we get lake effect moderation and are considered zone 4b.

I just bought a Rion Ecogrow 6x8 greenhouse (6mm twin wall polycarbonate) that will get have an E-W orientation with full exposure to south sun. My goal is to grow earlier season tomatoes and peppers and to have greens later in the season. But, what I would like to find out is whether or not I can keep greens (lettuce, kohlrabi, kale, etc) going throughout the winter without supplemental heating by using a creative system of insulation and thermal mass storage. So I guess I'm looking for easy, cheap ideas for creating thermal storage in my little greenhouse. I plan to have some kind of masonry floor and I have access to 55 gallon steel drums. But I'm looking for something more efficient (55 gallon drums stratify).... something that won't take up a lot of floor space. I'm thinking vertical black plastic tubes filled with water and bundled up on the north wall??? Anyway... any good ideas or resources??

Best wishes...

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia