SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scup_gw

Electric log splitters

scup
16 years ago

Purchased a DR 6 ton last month, returned it this month. Was shipped free and arrived in perfect condition. Easy to set up. Semi useless wheels of poor quality. Can only wheel unit on blacktop or concrete and even then one has to hold this heavy machine (200 pounds) at a 45 angle to prevent motor housing from dragging. Would not split even a five inch diameter log until the ram had been cycled several times to warm up the oil on a cold morning. Once warmed up, I fell in love with it and the splitting table option, until unit started to leak hydraulic oil. Decided, at this point I would keep the machine but only if DR would allow me to keep on purchasing their extended service contract every two years. They replied one can only have a single go at it. DR is a good company as they offered to replace it free of charge, work with their techs to repair it, or bring it to my local DR dealership for repairs all free. It is an extremely difficult machine to work on. I went with the option of working with DR to trouble shoot it. Very difficult machine to work on as everything is covered with shrouds and panels; you cannot get to anything. After I had enough of trouble shooting and never did discover where the leak was coming from, I opted for DR's suggestion of taking it to a local dealer. Very impressed with my local DR dealership. I left the machine there to be repaired, and out of necessity went back to my old Sotz monster maul. Split four cords of wood before it became obvious to me I did not want another piece of machinery about my home that is difficult to repair. Again no problem with DR or their dealership and they even allowed me to ship it back to them from their dealership's place of business so I would not have bring the unit back home to have it shipped. My experience with DR company and their dealerships was great, however, I do not mind owning a machine that I have to repair once it a while, I just do not want be tortured by repairing it. Since I am approaching 70, I still want an electric splitter as maul splitting, while very fast, is still tiring. Will likely purchase an USA made conventional gasoline powered one of modest size. If and when it needs to be re powered, there will be a 3-5 HP single phase 240 volt farm duty (totally enclosed) electric motor in its future.

Comments (2)