SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbear2767

Who really makes this engine.

Pooh Bear
17 years ago

6.5 HP horizontal shaft engine at Harbor Freight

Was thinking it mite make a good go cart engine.

It's listed in the sales paper as $129 with a 15% off coupon.

But who really makes that engine.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

Comments (45)

• flgargoyle
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know exactly who makes it, but it is a Chinese copy. They look pretty good; I have know idea how well they run, or how long they last. My experience w/ Chinese equipment has ranged from fairly adequate to a complete waste of money. If it has a warrantee, it might be all right for something like a go-cart, but I wouldn't get one for a machine that I planned to make a living with.

• johntommybob
    17 years ago

I also bet it's made in China. Made by a factory worker who makes about .43 cents an hour, if he makes his quota, and about 18 cents an hour if he doesn't. Chances are one in three he will be cheated and won't get paid at all. He lives in a factory provided room with about 12 others workers. Chances are the factory is in Dongguan, China, also known as the world's factory, where he breathes some of the most polluted air in the world. I'm not knocking that guy as he is just trying to earn a living in some of the most horrible working conditions in the world - and he is powerless to do anything about it. So when you stroll into WalMart and get that good deal by buying a "made in China Product" that WalMart is stocking so they can make a 60% mark up on instead of a 20% mark up - if it were made in the USA, feel good about if you can. Me, I don't shop at WalMart anymore.
    I think it's almost an un-American thing to do. Sorry for the rant.

• Related Discussions

Who makes really comfortable sofabeds-loveseat?

Q

Comments (3)
    dcollie, I've pulled their site, but it does not show that they make "loveseat size" sleeper sofa's. Do you have any idea who makes a sleeper sofa in a "loveseat" size, that is as comfortable to sit on, as it is to sleep on? On top of that, I want it to have great looks. Anyone?
    ...See More

Engineered flooring help - must make a decision

Q

Comments (0)
    Has anyone heard of a company or used an engineered wood product from Catalinahome.com. We have been searching for flooring and really wanted to use the Anderson Virgina Vintage Herritage. The color was a little too red and was having trouble finding another color in that line. We saw this Catalina flooring that has a french bleed (Charlston Collection). We love the color but I am concerned about the durability. Any help would be appreciated. We have a golden retriever and two kids I don't expect the wood to stay perfect, but still want to get the most durable product I can find.
    ...See More

Does painting a wall a 2nd coat really make a difference in the color?

Q

Comments (13)
    It depends: Is there a significant color change? Is the new color significantly lighter or darker? Is the wall well sealed? Is the color a "clear" pastel color or a dull color with organic pigments such as lamp black or raw umber in them ( in general, dull colors cover better)? Are you using one of the premium guaranteed one coat paints with higher white and tint pigment content? You are never wrong to prime and paint, or two coat, but it often is over kill. If your labor, time and money allow, go ahead and humor yourself. Paint manufacturers encourage priming and paint or two coating, mainly because it improves the chances of a good outcome, especially from amateurs who often don't have a clue about good painting techniques and don't buy quality equipment. Of course, they would love to sell you the additional paint and primer materials! A couple years ago, I re-painted my master bedroom, changing the color from a mossy medium green to a relatively light beige. I used one of the premium one coat paints, and frankly had my doubts if it would cover in one coat. At the then age of 72, I really did not want to have to do the room twice, as it has 12 foot vault ceilings and wall closets that I had to climb on top of. I was pleasantly surprised! It looked great in one coat! Granted, I was going over a quality paint. I was using quality equipment, and, I have been doing this professionally for over 60 years ( my father and grand father were painting contractors). Remember, all generalizations, including this one, aren't worth a damn!
    ...See More

Good article on engineering professor who studies aerosols/Covid

Q

Comments (16)
    I love this! Not just a good article but a great article. I clicked in several of the links and they are well worth reading too. I especially liked her analogy of aerodynamics and the explanations of how the virus can move around ones body. Having heard presentations during my career about aerosol disbursement as relates to harmful/poisonous gases and chemicals, I find this fascinating and relevant that Dr Marr studied human virus aerosol disbursement in a similar manner.
    ...See More
  • wayne440
    17 years ago

It is unfortunate that production workers in the US continue to price themselves out of the market. First steel production went away, then (some)automobiles, now other things. It is hard for US plants to compete in a global economy when labor in China goes for 2 or 3 percent of the domestic cost.

• tuckermaclain
    17 years ago

That is a Robin EX 21 (or a copy). A really nice motor. I have a real EX 21 on my power washer. Overhead cam w/ steel timing chain, compression release, iron-lined cylinder. Very quiet in operation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Subaru EX-21

• rcmoser
    17 years ago

I'll second and third that, Honda knockoff, hear of golf club knock-offs, it looks exactly like my Honda gen. engine. ONLY difference is the paint!. China for sure they cast about 80% of all manufacturing, why CHEAP Labor (prbably less than .75 cents and hour), no environmental laws, no laws, no law suits due to they won't recognize international laws or patents IMO. Who suffers? The Blue collar workers all over the world.

Northern tool got the same knockoff in gray and black Called CCP (central Power Products) $149 or a 13 HP for $299, Robin Subaru has a 4.5 knock-off version for $199. Northern also has V-twin hondas starting a $1129 runing to $1349 for a 24 HP Key start Horz. Who said Honda's cost more?

• rcmoser
    17 years ago

My gen. is aleast 9 years old, they are exactly the same. IMO didn't see any CCP or Robin designs back when GX's first come out. I bet the international copy right laws elaps and that's why china can copy them for sale to other companies. I bet if you got a mic and material inspection you would find NO differents, just as you find no differents in Calloway's and others knock-0ffs other than name.

• Greg Goyeneche
    17 years ago

It's a copy of Honda GX200 and has OHV not OHC. Subaru? Not even close. Copyrights have nothing to do with this, and while Honda might have certain features patented, they are now in the public domain.

I disagree that you won't find any dimensional differences. While the Chinese engine copies the basic dimensions, the tolerancing is probably not as close, nor is fit and finish to Honda standards.

While Chinese manufacturing gets better and better every year (I know this because I set up manufacturing subsidiaries in Shanghai and Suzhou), Chinese entrprenuers still try to sell on price rather than quality. As they learn to both build and market to world class quality and performance standards they will become even more formidable competitors.

I wouldn't buy that engine today, but in another 3 to 5 years it will be equal to Honda in fit, finish, and performance.

• rdaystrom
    17 years ago

Harbor Freight has both Chinese engines as well as Robin Subaru. Robin Subaru is a high quality engine comparable to anything out there. The Chinese engines have had pretty good reviews from what I have heard and they are priced right. I think the sale at Harbor Freight was for the Chinese engine.

• rcmoser
    17 years ago

H$$$, they make or copy all of them anyway. I took a real close look at CCP when they came on the market, say what you want But, IT IS A COPY! might buy on to prove a point! I bet the carb. head, block and accessories are the exact fit. When you have a exact clone down to the Looks, molding, switch, and controls on the carb. something fishy! IMO when you deal will china you better make sure ALL you molds are destroyed or you may see your design on the market for 1/2 price. IMO CEO's/manager's are selling American Blue collar jobs out every day, One day there not going to need white collar worker's either and the day will come when they have no market to sell there slave labor products, unless of course they are in the food stamp product business.

America and laywer's, the only country where you can rape the work force with no penalties and come and work as an illegal for a couple of years, go back home, and drawn FULL Social Security benefits and not even live in the country.

• ervie
    17 years ago

I read a Forbes magazine article back in the 70's where Briggs
    told the reporter they had nothing to fear from cheap Japanese
    labor. That's because their engines were untouched by human hands...totally automated.

Zheijiang Wanhao Machine Science and Technology builds a lot of
    China's small gasoline engines. That's my guess who really
    makes that engine.

• net_worker
    17 years ago

Yeah, Honda GX200 clone engine. I have picked a couple up on Ebay for about 135.00 just to see how they are. All of the sheet metal seems to be thinner than the original. Other than that the only real negative is the recoil unit. It is very cheaply made and doesn't hold up well. A whole Honda recoil unit will fit the blower housing but Honda parts will not fit the clone recoil for repairs, at least on the units I bought. the engines run very well and sound just like a Honda. I also used an 11HP GX340 clone on a catfish feeder. That engine also runs well and is still going strong.

Its a new world folks as much as I hate it. We have to use Chinese clone engines on our fish feeders to keep costs down so we can compete with Asian countries that are selling catfish that are not catfish. Go figure.

networker

• flgargoyle
    17 years ago

Meanwhile, people like me (a tool & die maker) can't make a living wage anymore... When push comes to shove (and it will) I wonder where we're going to get our defense weapons made- China? Everyone seems to have forgotten the manufacturing effort in the USA for WWII. We will soon completely lack the ability to do that. The sad thing is, as much as I want to buy American, all I can afford is Chinese.

• rcmoser
    17 years ago

Amen, Flgargoyle! I think you rapped it up! Sad, Very Sad that Companies and CEO will sell out there own work force to line there already filty rich pockets. For what, a few more billion dollars.

• wheely_boy
    17 years ago

Flgargoyle, from a fellow tool guy you are 100% correct. Rcmoser you are 100% wrong. It is the stock holders and Wall Street that drive this stupid behavior. The CEOs go along or they move along.

• allisd17man
    17 years ago

Wheely, you are wrong about the stockholders driving the train. It is the companies boards of directors that are causing the ruin of the American economy. I have played the stock market a little over the last 15 years, and I can tell you that the dividends the companies pay shareholders are dismal. I even own a little Exxon stock -- remember, they had a $37 billion profit last year, but shareholders certainly didn't share in the profits!! And just look at some of the huge severance packages that fired CEOs have been getting; Home Depot is reportedly giving their recently axed CEO a package worth about $200 million !!!

And Wayne440, you make it sound like American workers are at fault for manufacturing jobs going overseas. But even if steelworkers, assembly-line workers and others were only getting minimum wage, we could STILL not compete with the Chinese (or even the Mexicans). Thank our government for NAFTA and for their unwillingness to enact trade barriers to unreasonably cheap Chinese goods.

• ervie
    17 years ago

Allisd,
    You are right that stockholders are not getting very much of the money. But you are sadly mistaken about the board of directors. They are handpicked buddies of the CEO. In fact almost all of them are CEO's of another corporation. So when it comes down to voting on my pay package, this month it's your turn to pat my back. Next month when we vote on your pay package, since I'm on your board of directors, I'll return the favor, for sure. That's how our corporate aristocracy works now and it's how vast fortunes are made.

This is a recent phenomenon. Forty years ago there were no stock options. High top income tax rates (92%) on big salaries put a limit on how much CEO's demanded. Most of the profits in those days went to striking union members and powerful union leaders.

• wayne440
    17 years ago

allisd17man- There is more than enough fault to go around, if one wants to look at it that way. The exodus of manufacturing (and now other)jobs from the US is obviously not due solely to the fact that workers here get more wages and benefits than their foreign counterparts. But if one compares the global standard of living to our own, even a "minimum wage" worker is very well off.

The average of per capita assets (money in hand, property, personal items) on a worldwide, individual basis is about $2200. I waste that much money in a year on carry out pizza, soft drinks and other junk. By global standards, I'm loaded, as are 99 percent of the people reading this.

The work ethic of entry level applicants in our country has gone down the tubes compared to what it was only a few years ago. I have seen people turn up (late) for interviews in clothes that I wouldn't wear to change the oil in my tractor, then be shocked when they are offered starting pay of "only" $20-25K a year. This coupled with the fact that a production machine works as well overseas puts the writing on the wall in a clear fashion. A friend of mine once set up a factory in Honduras, people lined up for days to apply for work on 12 hour shifts 6 days a week for about $1.50/hr.

The "fix" is probably going to require concessions from both ends.

• timothycrivers_yahoo_ca
    17 years ago

Strange how everyone wants things cheap but also want to make $30 and hour or more plus full benefits. Sure the US could make everything internally but would you be willing to pay four or five times as much for everything(and that's being conservative), I doubt it! Also remember that the US is running a huge net loss in balance of payments and it is China that is buying up the debt in exchange for the ability to be a "most favored nation status" in selling in the US. If they called in their debt the US would be bankrupt. You can blame it on the congress in cutting taxes to a level that the government can't raise enough money to pay it's debt. Why do they do that? Because the citizens don't want to pay taxes, want goods cheap but also want high salaries and full benefits. And around it goes.

• rcmoser
    17 years ago

I got a Opinion on an outsider comments: IF we would call in what the third world owns us we wouldn't need to raise taxes. I for one am sick of protecting the world and feeding it from all the dictator's and religious nuts. China can Kiss My ###, bunch of stealing copy cat's, what have they invented except the firecracker? They couldn't even mass cast a rake or shovel without somebodies help.

It's there business morels and wage slave labor that's killing people. remember that for thoses who think china so worldly. As for congress cutting taxes is bunch of Bull@@@ except for the filthy rich. I'm taxed yearly wage, on aleast 8% everything I buy, somewhere around 18% on any profit I can make off my taxed money, and they got there hand out when I have love one die if I got any big money, like they should get paid. Then, there all the corrupt and under the table dealings in contracts. I won't even go into Lobbyist.

Basically we bailed the free world out in three wars and we get no thanks for it, but everybody wants the AMERICAN Dream! The government could just egnore the dept like china egnores international laws and environmental concerns.

China industrial cities are the most polluted in the world, eventually there will be a mast die off due to all the cancer IMO. But they bread like rats maybe they will keep up to supply us with there cheap made and priced products. remember what effects us is going to effect our northern friends.

I think your 30 dollars and hour is way out of line. Most wages for the WORKING force in this country IMO are $6.00 to $18 dollar hour range. And the ones of us that get $18 hour are taxed Taxed at a higher rate.

IMO that's why they don't want to go to a flat tax rate, the well off will be taxed fairly then, But everybody got an opinion, that's one benefit the free world gets with no taxes or penalties. IMO if you want to sell on the world market then there should be a world minimum wage.

• grassmaster
    17 years ago

Briggs just closed its manufacturing plant in Rolla, Missouri last month. A nice Christmas for 400 workers.

Funny--the plant closed exactly ten years after it opened--the same length of time that the state tax breaks and other incentives were to expire.

• deerslayer
    17 years ago

Many U.S. manufacturers need tax subsidies to effectively compete with foriegn companies. Let's face it, U.S. manufacturing is in decline from an employment standpoint. Farming experienced a similar contraction during the past century but for different reasons. Consider the following data:

Total population: 62,941,714; farm population: 29,414,000 (est.); farmers 43% of labor force; Number of farms: 4,565,000; average acres: 136

Total population: 261,423,000; farm population: 2,987,552; farmers 2.6% of labor force; Number of farms: 2,143,150; average acres: 461; irrigated acres: 49,404,000 (1992)

The U.S. has moved from farming to manufacturing and now to a service based economy. Many decent paying middle class jobs currently require college degrees. The trend toward higher education will continue. Middle income job opportunities for nondegreed people will continue to contract. The manufacturing jobs that remain will be in high tech areas (computer, drugs, defense, etc.) where advanced education or training will be required.

China has billions of people that have good work habits and are smart enough to man an assembly line. Low tech goods, like small engines, will no longer be made in the U.S. in the near future. Just my opinion...

-Deerslayer

• constantinotobio
    17 years ago

Well, the main impetus behind the decrease in the farm labor force is that we've gotten a helluva lot more efficient in the last 100 years at growing food and harvesting it.

Of course, efficient methods gave rise to agribusiness- the small family farm is a thing of the past.

I've seen this trend in my native Spain- i was born in a very rural area. When I was a kid, everyone grew their own vegetables and raised their own livestock- hogs, cattle, chickens. Every piece of arable land had corn or potatoes growing on it. You got milk from your cow, eggs from your chickens, and every 6 months or so, you slaughtered a hog and salted it to be eaten over time.

This was a mere 20 years ago.

Now, all that arable land has been turned to lawns or houses. It makes no sense given the state of technology to be that inefficient- most people own several acres of land in parcels averaging a half-acre or less, and did all the planting, plowing, and harvesting by hand or using beasts of burden. I think there were 2 or 3 Ford tractors in the whole town.

Now, there's a supermarket the next town over. Why grow your own potatoes when you can get them 5 lbs at a time?

• deerslayer
    17 years ago

I agree that farms have become more efficient which has decreased the amount of labor needed. However, who determined which farmers would survive? It was the market!

Agricultural price pressures (like current wage pressures in manufacturing) occurred as technology advanced. The most productive farmers survived. Many other farmers couldn't compete so they sold their farms and found jobs in factories. Now the factory jobs are disappearing. Life goes on...

-Deerslayer

• grassmaster
    17 years ago

College degrees will continue to drop in value as most jobs will not require a college degree.

However, most jobs will require specialized skills training, like the training students can get from area career centers, community colleges, military, apprenticeships, or manufactured-sponsored programs.

• constantinotobio
    17 years ago

Personally, I find college overrated. I have a BA degree from an Ivy League school, but aside from being able to hold a conversation at a hoi-polloi wine-and-cheese event, it doesn't have a lot of relevance to what I do for a living. My degree is in American History, yet I'm a Computer Systems Engineer by trade. Go figure. One thing I did get out of it- loads of debt!

A lot of people don't need college- and yet we force our young people to go because "you need a degree." Then, we saddle them with debt.

Grassmaster- your suggestion is what we should be doing, and yet we don't, and never will. College is too much of a racket.

• tcrivers
    17 years ago

Posted by rcmoser:
    "I think your 30 dollars and hour is way out of line. Most wages for the WORKING force in this country IMO are $6.00 to $18 dollar hour range. And the ones of us that get $18 hour are taxed Taxed at a higher rate."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Actually an auto worker(as an example)if you include his benefits and pension plan actually makes about $60.00 -$75.00 an hour. The taxes paid by the middle class worker earning $60,000 to $100,000 is actually incredibly low when compared to Europe, England or Canada. If they were taxed at that level the government would be awash with cash and could pay off it's $7 trillion plus national debt. Once that was paid off then taxes could be cut again. But the workers would not be able to buy the toys they want if taxes went up and would vote the government out of office. When you don't make enough in taxes to pay for debt charges and running the government you have to borrow and if you apply that thinking to your own personel situation, where you spend more than you make, something eventually has to give. China right now is preventing that by occurring by propping up the government's spending by buying all the bonds the government issues to cover it's shortfall. That will only last as long as China needs the US market.

• deerslayer
    17 years ago

"My degree is in American History, yet I'm a Computer Systems Engineer by trade."

Even though your degree may not be relevant to your current job, most of the higher paying positions require degrees. Thats not going to change. In fact, folks are getting postgraduate degrees so that they have an edge in the job market.

Your other alternative is to start your own business. Successful small business people without degrees often earn more than workers with degrees.

-Deerslayer

• rcmoser
    17 years ago

American auto industry is shutting down plants every year. I bet the non-union out out country companies don't pay close to 60 dollars and hour, probably around 20 if that. IMO the blue collar high paying jobs will be as rare as a blue moon in about 10 years. Ford and GM going to be hit the hardest IMO. It's happening right now.

When the blue collar workers go managment and supervison don't need a bunch setting around in offices, So IMO it will have down stream effect effecting all of North America and big business as we know it.

• johndeere
    17 years ago

Every time you walk into Walmart after parking your Hyudai or Kia you helped cause this problem.Since you want something for next to nothing you will have to live with it.

• machiem
    17 years ago

Perhaps the people that are buying Kia's and Hyundai's like to promote companies that are CREATING jobs in the USA?

• sporty_1974
    17 years ago

In my opinion.....

We are all under one government globally. Our lovely oil companies dictate just about ever area of our lives. We are paying them in more ways than just filling up our tanks at the local gas station. They control the prices of our produce, to our technology. They know they hold the power and no one group is large enough to take them over. They have their own military and "hit-men" for those that oppose their actions.

I may be way off in my thinking but the control is out of our reach!

• tom_k_de
    17 years ago

But,who really makes this engine????tbk

• johndeere
    17 years ago

Posted by machiem Z8 WA (My Page) on Tue, Jan 16, 07 at 15:16

Perhaps the people that are buying Kia's and Hyundai's like to promote companies that are CREATING jobs in the USA?---------------------------------------------

That send that money right out of the country.So they can grow rather then our own economy.

• ervie
    17 years ago

This thread brought out many good observations. Farms went
    from small to big but I think manufacturing may be heading
    the other way. I've been watching John Ratzenberger's "Made
    in America" cable TV show. There are lots of small shops all over the country making very specialized niche products. They
    use clever production techniques to keep their products' prices
    at affordable levels. With less than 50 employees, they keep a low profile so the General Electrics, etc. don't gobble them up.

• deerslayer
    17 years ago

Most of the small shops have much lower wages than the large, unionized factories. The lower wages and lower volume (niche products) make them less vulnerable to competition.

-Deerslayer

• tobyb
    16 years ago

Apparently its a Chinese copy of a Japanese engine!

Apparently they are doing the same thing the Japanese did in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

And the people complaining about cheap Chinese goods are using the same arguments people used about cheep Japanese goods back then.

Also some of you should research "Dongfeng Honda Automobile Company" and "Changzhou Fuji Changchai Robin Gasoline Engine Co", as apparently Honda and Subaru Robin have no problem opening plants in China where labor is cheap!

Of all the mowers Ive used over the years, the tecumseh and B&S engines have been the most reliable part. No matter how much we abused them as teens cutting our parents, grand parents, or neighbors lawns. Running them low on oil, using them as brush cutters, revving up my dads 8hp front engine lawn tractor to do wheelies. Ive got a 13 year old Home Depot Returned Murray mower with a B&S engine that rode out Katrina and sat in at least 8 inches of floodwater in my shed. I dont know how high the water got on the engine, but the underside of the deck was a nice orange color when I got home, when I cranked it up and cut my lawn until winter set in in SE Louisiana. Then for a few months in Tennessee. The engine still runs, but the deck and self propel was falling apart.

But as long as people are buying foreign engines who cares if its Japanese or Chinese? European or Korean? I say save your money buy whatever is cheaper if your not going to buy American!

• steve2ski
    16 years ago

constaninobio,
    Try and get that Computer Systems Engineer position without a 4 yr degree, and a post grad makes it easier.
    Remember the folks that make the desision on the person hire have 4 yr degrees also. Many cases or most cases its a club, if you have a degree you are in, if not you are not. I for one work as a Manufacturing Engineer (no 4 yr degree) the way I got here was working for a owner of a small private company,(he knew me personally and I knew him personally) eventally the owner sold the company (he is now 95 yrs old) and since the company has been sold 2 other times (once public, now back private). No engineering positions have been filled since the original owner sold, without a degree. NONE
    The Co. is now approaching 1/2 Billion in sales annually. Our retirement package under all different owners was nothing that you didnot contribute to a 401K out of your earnings (you got to select % of your wages as well as the investment instrument, from a group presented to you).
    I will be 64 very shortly and need additional income above both SS and what is wise is paying myself from my 401.
    If you folks understand that these benefit packages that company's are paying the employees (Example the first 1,500 dollars cost in ea GM vehicle is to pay a retirement package of a current retiree of that company. ---------- this could get long and I need to get on the road.
    My landscaping will pay that difference for me - will probably hire summer help from the college students - go figure.

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

The guy who works at an engine manaufacturing plant in China is a skilled technical worker who makes a good wage by local standards. How low his salary appears when translated into American dollars is not important, because he gets paid in Chinese yuan and that is what he spends at the market.

The only thing you need to ask yourself as a consumer is whether the engine is of good enough quality to do the job and is it worth the price they are asking for it. In most cases when you buy from Harbor Freight the answer to both those questions is yes.

Another thing to ask yourself is whether or not China as a nation is managing to get by using their own gas engines that are manufactured in China, and the answer to that question is also yes.

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

A degree in American History?? You are an idiot. Did your research on job demand, prior to selecting that major, indicate that there would be an actual demand for someone with that degree? AND you went into debt for to obtain it? Double idiot. For the college bashers, take a look at starting salaries for Chemical Engineers, or any engineering field for that matter. Starting salary for CHE's this year is $60k/year and they are hard to find. I know, I'm trying to hire one right now.
    For the CEO and Directors bashers, get off your ass and get one of these jobs yourself if you think you can do it better. For the Walmart and cheap labor bashers - first rule of economics and free enterprise - supply and demand. If you need more explanation than that the argument would serve no purpose.

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

There is always a way to get your points across without abusing other members of the forum.

• theodocius
    16 years ago

"A degree in American History?? You are an idiot. Did your research on job demand,...."

Many confuse "education" with "vocational training". Vocational training prepares one for a specific vocation (job), i.e. chem engineer, teacher, small engine repair, etc. Vocational training can be an apprenticeship, OJT, traditional vocational school, or in the case of an engineer, a 4-5 yr. college degree. Hopefully, the 4 yr. college "vocational" program will include elements of "education".....the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgement, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life (dict. def.). An "education" can prepare one for many possible jobs, although probably not well for a technical "vocation".

"For the Walmart and cheap labor bashers - first rule of economics and free enterprise - supply and demand. If you need more explanation than that the argument would serve no purpose."

The United States does not have an unfettered free enterprise system. For example, few if any Walmart stores and major manufacturing plants are built in this country without government subsidy of some kind. The economic principle of supply and demand is frequently (usually) skewed by government intervention and/or market manipulation. American workers are hurt by illegal immigration, foreign product dumping, one-sided import/export agreements, corporate greed, and corporate tax-evasion; none of which illustrate the principle of supply and demand. ;~)

t

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

You are correct, however some people invite abuse...

"So when you stroll into WalMart and get that good deal by buying a "made in China Product" that WalMart is stocking so they can make a 60% mark up on instead of a 20% mark up - if it were made in the USA, feel good about if you can. Me, I don't shop at WalMart anymore.
    I think it's almost an un-American thing to do."

good example of supply and demand... is walmart american owned??

"China for sure they cast about 80% of all manufacturing, why CHEAP Labor (prbably less than .75 cents and hour), no environmental laws, no laws, no law suits due to they won't recognize international laws or patents IMO. Who suffers? The Blue collar workers all over the world. "

ANother supply and demand.. all over the world.

"IMO CEO's/manager's are selling American Blue collar jobs out every day, One day there not going to need white collar worker's either and the day will come when they have no market to sell there slave labor products, unless of course they are in the food stamp product business. "

Sounds like he could do a better job, why not apply for it.

"Sad, Very Sad that Companies and CEO will sell out there own work force to line there already filty rich pockets. For what, a few more billion dollars"

Another one that could make a better CEO.

"But you are sadly mistaken about the board of directors. They are handpicked buddies of the CEO. In fact almost all of them are CEO's of another corporation. So when it comes down to voting on my pay package, this month it's your turn to pat my back. Next month when we vote on your pay package, since I'm on your board of directors, I'll return the favor, for sure. That's how our corporate aristocracy works now and it's how vast fortunes are made. "

Here's another guy who really knows how the corporate world works, seems like he could get himself one of these sweet jobs.

"IMO that's why they don't want to go to a flat tax rate, the well off will be taxed fairly then, But everybody got an opinion, that's one benefit the free world gets with no taxes or penalties. IMO if you want to sell on the world market then there should be a world minimum wage"

This guys has got to be kidding, the rich WANT a flat tax. Does he have any idea on the percentages of tax paid by income bracket? Do you think he knows what a regressive tax is?? Probably not given his post. And "world minimu wage"?? ROTFLMAO!!!

"They have their own military and "hit-men" for those that oppose their actions. "

too much TV, to much alcohol or something along those lines

and the BEST for last.....

"Personally, I find college overrated. I have a BA degree from an Ivy League school, but aside from being able to hold a conversation at a hoi-polloi wine-and-cheese event, it doesn't have a lot of relevance to what I do for a living. My degree is in American History, yet I'm a Computer Systems Engineer by trade. Go figure. One thing I did get out of it- loads of debt!
    A lot of people don't need college- and yet we force our young people to go because "you need a degree." Then, we saddle them with debt."

Who is the "we" that is saddling idiots like him with debt? Who is forcing anyone to go to college? And he admits in this same post he has a BA from an Ivy League school and is debt because of it? Should of tried for a BS degree at a local college (BS - Bachelor of Science, BA- Bachelor of Arts). No wonder this fool thinks college is overated.

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

theodosius,

Very good points, my last post was not aimed at you. I get a little rattled when the CEO, Board of Directors and Higher Education bashers start to post. Hence my flame post aimed directly at them. Regarding suply and demand being skewed, you are 100% correct. I live in Georgia and "our" state offered multi million dollar tax breaks to Volvo, and Kia to build plants here. I think this should be illegal. That said, I can't believe I am posting about this crap on a tractor board. How could I have possibly digressed to this level when I could be talking about how much better my Simplicity tractor is than the guys green tractor next door.

• theodocius
    16 years ago

1kbum, we 'orange' guys have got to stick together. ;~)

And just to keep things on topic, I have no idea who makes the Harbor Freight engine in question. My Wisconsin-built tractor is powered by a Japanese-made Briggs engine, PTO, and tranny (or at least made in Japanesed-owned TT plant). My father-in-law's Ford Crown Victoria is an "import" from Canada. Most John Deere LT/GTs have Japanese power-trains. The "Be American - Buy American" mantra can no longer be satisfied by buying American brands.

t

Sponsored
More Discussions