SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buford_gw

Tree roots in compost pile

buford
14 years ago

For the past few years I have been sort of passive composting. Which means I just leave piles of garden waste there and then a year or two later go through it and take out any usable compost and either chip/shred the rest or start a new pile. The spots I do this in are on a slight hill among some redbud trees. The trees seem to love it :) but I have noticed that they roots of the tree grow up from the ground into the compost pile. Even through a black plastic bag of weeds that I left there to 'cook'.

My question is, is this bad? When I harvest the compost, I have to remove the roots and sometimes they get cut off completely. Will this harm the tree? I don't have a spot that has no trees near at all that I can use, so I think I'm going to continue to have this issue. We recently chipped up a whole bunch of woody debris we had drying out and now I have 3 separate piles that I am going to be adding too all year and hopefully will have a bunch of compost next spring. Unfortunately they are all in spots near these same trees.

Comment (1)