SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojavelove

Very pathetic rose bush

MojaveLove
12 years ago

My parents recently separated and my mom is renting a friend's great-grandmothers house who passed years ago (I believe in the 90s). She held onto it but never did much to it. The outside of it is appalling but the inside is fine. There is a small "garden" that hasn't been tended to, at least properly, in YEARS. I was there the other day and noticed one of them is a rose bush (new leaves popping up). I don't have a picture but I will be there today for Easter and will get one then. Basically, it looks like about 10 years ago someone cut it back and since then it has quadrupled in size with that shape. Just a few haphazard thorny branches.

Anyway, it's all scraggly looking, some branches do not have new leaf growth on them. Others only have them in sporadic places. It's pretty sad to say the least. But, it apparently is pretty hardy too as we're in Northern Illinois and it was never covered for winter or taken care of in the last decade.

I'd love to nurse this thing at least well enough to get it to bloom, it's probably a 40 or 50 year old plant and it would be fun to see what it is.

What would you do if you found a wild, paltry looking rose? Fertilize it? Trim it up a bit? It needs it desperately. It is so leggy. Let it run wild and see what happens? I feel like I need to do SOMETHING to it. I would also like to somehow propagate it and keep one for myself, I have a big ol pot on my porch that needs filling. But I'm not even a Rose novice so that may be way over my head, and I may need to know what it is first.

Comments (22)