SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeckston

Winter Compost Idea: Will it work?

Zeckston
11 years ago

I am trying to build a hotbox with active compost surrounding the sides so that I can move already started seedlings outside-making room for new ones to germinate inside. My question/problem is getting the compost to begin heating up. Now, I know the ratio of ingredients I began the compost pile with is ideal; around half green and half brown material with a few hands fulls of fresh cow stuff mixed nicely throughout, damp but not moist and contained in a 2'x3' pile well ventilated. I've been stirring for the past several days, but it is not generating ANY heat.

I live in CT so it's still cold here, around 35-40F. I was wondering, if I placed a small coffee cup hot plate next to the compost pile to heat up the temperature around the compost to really get the microbial activity started, can the pile continue to generate a fair amount of heat even if I removed the hot plate? And, will increasing the surrounding temperature help to begin heating up the compost pile via the microbes?

Is this a crazy idea? I just need to get the compost pile producing heat soon. I want to begin germinating most of my plants outside in a hotbox (made of glass and heated by the compost pile surrounding it), without using lights or heating mats.

Thank you so much for taking to the time to read and think about this. It's greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County