SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_writ

Soil Test Results

the_writ
15 years ago

Greetings all! I just recently discovered your forums and am extremely impressed by the community here and look forward to becoming a part of it. If I may, I have couple questions and am in need of some advice.

I just got my soil sample results back from the LSU Ag Center and am not quite sure where to proceed from here. I am starting a vegetable garden in my back yard and would like to make sure the soil is "up to snuff" so to speak. The area is approx 1200 square feet (24 feet wide and 50 feet long)along my backyard fence. The issue I have is that for 30+ years we had banana trees growing very thickly along the fence line out about four feet into the yard. Every winter we would cut them down and lay them to rot along the stumps and they would grow back in the spring. Well now the banana trees are long gone and my garden will stretch into this area. I took soil samples from the area that used to have the banana trees and again from the lawn area and got back two totally different results.

Soil Sample #1 (Banana tree area)

Soil Type: Silt Loam

pH (1:1 Water) 6.58 High

Phosphorus, ppm 133.64 Very High

Potassium, ppm 206.93 Very High

Calcium, ppm 1,488.64 High

Magnesium, ppm 260.68 High

Sodium, ppm 8.40 Optimum

Sulfur, ppm 14.01 Medium

Copper, ppm 1.44 High

Zinc, ppm 18.40 High

Soil Sample #2 (Lawn Area)

Soil Type: Silt Loam

pH (1:1 Water) 5.66 Optimum

Phosphorus, ppm 44.24 Medium

Potassium, ppm 40.55 Low

Calcium, ppm 941.57 Low

Magnesium, ppm 51.17 Very Low

Sodium, ppm 9.44 Optimum

Sulfur, ppm 13.92 Medium

Copper, ppm 1.48 High

Zinc, ppm 6.34 High

As you can see they differ greatly in a few areas. My thoughts would be to till (I'm a Tiller lol) up the area down to 12" and then mix the soils from the two areas together while adding compost, sphagnum peat, and a bit of manure then spread it all back out. I'm hoping this will balance out the highs and to lows to some degree. If anyone has any suggestions on how to remedy this situation such as additives and such please feel free to pass them on. I would really be grateful. Thank a bunch.

Michael

Comments (9)